You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomeKit devices saying "updating" or "no response", could Netgear Orbi be the culprit?

Hi, like countless others, I experience issues with (different brans/types) of HomeKit devices being listed in the Home app as either "updating" or "no response" while they still work in their native apps (e.g. Hue lights, Ikea lights, Heatmiser thermostats, etc.).

I have tried most pieces of advice I have found, e.g., uninviting my wife as Home user, having only one device act as home hub (tested both Apple TV, HomePod, and iPad), removing and adding HomeKit devices, etc. For some periods, there are improvements, either by devices staying connected for a couple of days or at least taking less time to get responsive. But soon I am back to the same buggy situation and my wife is losing faith on the whole setup (which I am sure many of you know is no good!).

I then heard a podcast the other day where mesh Wifi network systems were discussed and a comment was made that the Netgear Orbi system could cause problems with HomeKit. My system is a one base/two satellite Orbi system that cost a pretty penny to purchase. Before I even start thinking about replacing these, it would be good to know if anyone has more insight into whether these could cause my problems?

Posted on Jun 16, 2018 10:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2018 6:49 AM

Well, I am happy to say I can answer my own question, in case someone else has the same issue. I had failed to check the Netgear pages for updates and I now saw that in early May a manual install firmware was released to fix issue with HomeKit and that has now been released as a full update for auto install.

I have only had it installed for a few hours now, but I can confirm that lots of the previous "updating" and "no response" issues have disappeared. They are not completely eliminated, I still see it, but much less so looking promising.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 17, 2018 6:49 AM in response to BJ4Rock

Well, I am happy to say I can answer my own question, in case someone else has the same issue. I had failed to check the Netgear pages for updates and I now saw that in early May a manual install firmware was released to fix issue with HomeKit and that has now been released as a full update for auto install.

I have only had it installed for a few hours now, but I can confirm that lots of the previous "updating" and "no response" issues have disappeared. They are not completely eliminated, I still see it, but much less so looking promising.

Jul 7, 2018 9:32 AM in response to BJ4Rock

I spent weeks with Apple support trying to troubleshoot and diagnose the same problem. I have over 25 Homekit devices from various manufacturers: Lutron dimmers iDevices switch, Caseta Shades, Schlage door locks, Chamberlain garage door. They all took turns being unresponsive, updating in the app, and would sometimes work. Very frustrating.

While gathering info with the tech a couple days ago, he asked which firmware version the Orbi had. I noticed a new firmware was available. He suggested we update that. VOILA! All problems FIXED!

Now if I could just dial back the Siri snarky remarks factor, I’d be thrilled.

Aug 21, 2018 6:23 PM in response to themixguy

So how is your system working now? I have the Orbi RB50 w/ RS50 (total junk), 45 leviton homekit light switches, 3 koogeek homekit outlets and 3 vocolink homekit outlets. I worked for two months (while still in my initial days of purchase) trying to get help from Netgear even after doing the frimware update to V2.1.4.16. They made various system adustments all to no avail. After my 90 days were up, Netgear would no longer return my calls to the still open support ticket. As noted in the writer's initial statement, I also tried all of the suggestions of removing devices and hub components, all with no long term resolution and the firmware update didn't work either.

I am hoping Netgear provides another firmware update that really works for all of us.

Urgh... I have way too much money into this system to just trash it, so I am hoping one of these manurafturers does something to fix all of this...

HomeKit devices saying "updating" or "no response", could Netgear Orbi be the culprit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.