Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compressing large files

I have. FCPX project that’s about 90 minutes long. It’s 1920/1080. If I share as master file / computer setting the files about 9GB. Two guestions. 1 if I share via Google Drive are there any issue with a client downloading and playing on a laptop or TV? 2. Any recommended settings or techniques to compress to below 4GB to fit on a USB drive. Someone told me to take master file into Hand Brake and adjust bit rate to achieve the smaller size. Thanks in advance for any help

Posted on Jun 17, 2018 2:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2018 5:33 PM

Q1. Creating an MP4 is pretty much universal.

Q2. One method is to use Compressor as it allows fine tuning.

Regards USB (thumb drive) it will need to be formatted to something the target player can understand. I'd run with FAT 32 for a more universal starting point. EXFAT for larger files but I've found this to be less compatible with TVs etc.

User uploaded file

Try the Computer setting and adjust the Resolution down from 1920x 1080 to create smaller files that are MP4 friendly. If you require 1920 x 1080 then Compressor will assist.

Al

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2018 5:33 PM in response to tplynchy

Q1. Creating an MP4 is pretty much universal.

Q2. One method is to use Compressor as it allows fine tuning.

Regards USB (thumb drive) it will need to be formatted to something the target player can understand. I'd run with FAT 32 for a more universal starting point. EXFAT for larger files but I've found this to be less compatible with TVs etc.

User uploaded file

Try the Computer setting and adjust the Resolution down from 1920x 1080 to create smaller files that are MP4 friendly. If you require 1920 x 1080 then Compressor will assist.

Al

Jun 17, 2018 8:25 PM in response to tplynchy

tplynchy wrote:

If I send to compressor what setting would I adjust to reduce the size.

Not sure what Size means, resolution or file size?

In FCP X you can reduce the resolution which in turn reduces file size:

User uploaded file

This above setting changes an export from 18 gig (Master File) to 531 Mb.

You can drop it a notch further to 854.

The thing is, as file size drops so does image quality.

See if you can find a sweet spot using FCP X.

Compressor just has more options.

Al

Jun 18, 2018 7:08 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

I was told that the issues with EXFAT are no longer an issue except with older systems and some gaming devices. Larger files just take longer to download and clients frustrated. I was also told that to view on a smart TV streaming form a tablet or smart phone is the simplest.

Does that advise seem correct?

Thank you for the help.

Compressing large files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.