Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does upgrading itunes get rid of your iPhone backups?

I damaged my iPhone X. I got a new one from Apple care. The Apple care agent upgraded my phone to the latest software 11.4. My old phone was still on 11.3.1. When I plugged in new phone it told me to upgrade itunes, so I did. Once the new version of iTunes was install and my computer restarted, I don't have the option to restore my phone. I KNOW i had backups of my old phone, so somebody please tell me there is a way I can get my phone backed up. There was a bunch of important things that I would lose if I can't get my data.

iPhone X, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on Jun 18, 2018 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2018 5:30 PM

Upgrading iTunes will not have any affect on your backup data, or the content of your iTunes library. If you open iTunes, go to Edit>Preferences>Devices, you should see your list of backups there.

Without the old device, there is no way for you to create another one, however your backups should be on the computer, if you backed up using iTunes. See this for help locating the backups. Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2018 5:30 PM in response to jabareM23

Upgrading iTunes will not have any affect on your backup data, or the content of your iTunes library. If you open iTunes, go to Edit>Preferences>Devices, you should see your list of backups there.

Without the old device, there is no way for you to create another one, however your backups should be on the computer, if you backed up using iTunes. See this for help locating the backups. Locate backups of your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Does upgrading itunes get rid of your iPhone backups?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.