Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attempting data recovery restart loop

I was having issues with my phone loading so I tried to restart it. It got stuck on the apple logo, so I plugged it into my computer and put it in recovery mode. Once suggested fix I had seen was to update to the latest iOS, so I did that. Once it was done the iPhone brought me to a screen saying press home to recover. I tried this but halfway through the recovery process the phone restarts and takes me back to this screen, I have tried this a few times but the same result keeps happening. I have already tried forcing a restart but that did not help either.

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Jun 18, 2018 9:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2018 2:09 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities cronusbane222,

If I'm understanding you right, you attempted to restore your iPhone while in recovery mode, but the process was not successful. Now it's in a restore loop where it keeps taking you back to a screen telling you to press the Home button to recover your device. I'm happy to work with you to get your iPhone up and running again.

You mentioned that you already tried force restarting, so it sounds like you may have already tried to put your iPhone back into recovery mode again. When you did that, did you make sure to follow the steps exactly as seen in If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ? This includes making sure you're running the most current version of iTunes, as well as pressing and holding the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen? Here are the exact steps from that support article:

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.

2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.

3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:

On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.

User uploaded file

4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.

User uploaded file

5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.

The Learn More section of that support article will have further guidance on what to do next if you're still not have to restore your iPhone and have followed the recovery steps correctly.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 20, 2018 2:09 PM in response to cronusbane222

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities cronusbane222,

If I'm understanding you right, you attempted to restore your iPhone while in recovery mode, but the process was not successful. Now it's in a restore loop where it keeps taking you back to a screen telling you to press the Home button to recover your device. I'm happy to work with you to get your iPhone up and running again.

You mentioned that you already tried force restarting, so it sounds like you may have already tried to put your iPhone back into recovery mode again. When you did that, did you make sure to follow the steps exactly as seen in If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch ? This includes making sure you're running the most current version of iTunes, as well as pressing and holding the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen? Here are the exact steps from that support article:

Put your device in recovery mode and set it up again

1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.

2. If iTunes is already open, close it. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. If you don't have a computer, borrow one from a friend or go to an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider for help.

3. While your device is connected, force restart it with these steps, but don't release the buttons when you see the Apple logo, wait until the connect to iTunes screen appears:

On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the connect to iTunes screen.

User uploaded file

4. When you see the option to Restore or Update, choose Update. iTunes will try to reinstall iOS without erasing your data. Wait while iTunes downloads the software for your device. If the download takes more than 15 minutes and your device exits the connect to iTunes screen, let the download finish, then repeat step 3.

User uploaded file

5. After the Update or Restore completes, set up your device.

The Learn More section of that support article will have further guidance on what to do next if you're still not have to restore your iPhone and have followed the recovery steps correctly.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Attempting data recovery restart loop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.