Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot set iMac 27” 5K Retina 2017 to 1920x1080 res.

Hello to everyone.

I've recently bought an iMac 27” 2017 5K Retina top level, and I am having troubles with the screen resolution within the Display Control Panel.

Contrarily to what I expected (and what was kindly guessed here: Can iMac 5K 2017 (18,3) show 1920x1080 resolution in MacOS Sierra?), I cannot set the screen resolution ‘down’ to 1920x1080, which is the same resolution I was accustomed to on my old 27” iMac (mid 2011). I THOUGHT such resolution could be set, but it seems I was wrong. 😟

I've got only the following resolutions available, obtained by the way by pressing the ALT key while clicking on the ‘scaled’ radio button:

User uploaded file

As I cannot find the desired resolution, I have switched to the most similar one for my purposes. With your help I sincerely hope it's just termporarily… 😉

Since I restored all my settings and files from a Time Machine backup from the older iMac, I thought I could manage, but… I cannot. Both iMacs are running macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Any ideas? Is it even possible to use that (so much beloved) resolution for my “new” screen, now?

Thank you all, any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Jun 19, 2018 1:43 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jun 20, 2018 5:20 AM in response to dialabrain

Dialabrain, thanks, but why? As far as I know aspect ratio on the 2011 iMac should be the same as the one of the iMac retina 5K 2017, that is 16:9, and this is true even considering the differences in overall screen resolutions between the two (that is, Retina vs normal res). Am I wrong? 😕

In fact, for instance, I cannot set such a resolution in my older 2008 iMac 24”, since it has a screen aspect ratio of 16:10, but instead with 27” iMac models, the aspect ratio should be the same.

Malcom, if I check that option, the Control Panel would simply show same resolutions but using low graphics and text, thus using less graphic resources therefore lower resolutions, so to speak. In any case, 1920x1080 wouldn't appear as well. It' the first thing I tried (it's my first time with a Retina display of sorts). Let me show you:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

So far, no good… but I really appreciate the quality of help we Mac users can get in these Apple forums.

Thanks to avery one.

Jun 20, 2018 10:38 AM in response to dialabrain

Hmmm, thank you, Dialabrain.

Strangely the Mid 2011 27” iMac have has been set ‘down’ to 1920x1080 since the very beginning, while I was running MacOS X 10.6.8 Snow Leopard (as I am sure you well know, the iMac 27” 2011 can run at a native resolution of 2560x1440 pixels – which is way too detailed for my purposes and liking)…

User uploaded file

…so, just like you, I am not sure what to tell you in response. 😊

Anyway, thank you, again, for having taken care of my problem.

Cannot set iMac 27” 5K Retina 2017 to 1920x1080 res.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.