Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS cellular usage statistics inaccurate?

My son is on a shared data with me. He monitors his cellular usage on his iPhone 7 (most recent iOS version) and resets the statistics regularly so that he can follow his recent usage.

However, a few days ago, we discovered that the amount reported by iOS is vastly less than the amount reported by our cellular provider (AT&T).

For instance, he reset his stats on a certain date, and then showed me his phone was reporting ~35 MB cellular usage 3 days (80 hours, to be more precise) later. But on my AT&T account website, his phone number shows over 500 MB cellular usage for the same time period, a 14-fold difference!

I called AT&T and they said their usage stats are the most accurate, so that there is something wrong with the iOS cellular data reporting.

But how could the iOS cellular usage be so different that the carrier's usage log? It makes it difficult to accurately monitor usage this way.

iPhone 7, iOS 11.3.1, AT&T

Posted on Jun 20, 2018 9:55 AM

5 replies

Jun 20, 2018 10:42 AM in response to arctan

There will sometimes be small differences. The phone reports data sent and received at the phone. However, sometimes there is a failure in communications (especially if the signal is weak) and data must be re-transmitted. The retransmission counts on the carrier's side, but is not recorded on the phone because iOS doesn't know about it.

However, a large difference is much harder to explain. One possibility is the timing; the phone records data when sent. However carriers (including AT&T) aggregate data and report it in a "chunk" periodically. AT&T specifically reports data for a "MTSO" (a collection of towers) when the phone moves out of range of the towers to a different location. So if he's at school using data, the total of that data usage will be reported when he leaves school and comes home. The network then starts accumulating home usage if he isn't on Wi-Fi, but doesn't report that until he leaves the home area. If he doesn't leave the home area the total of that usage will be reported between midnight and 3 AM (depending on time zone). In summary, there is no way to align the data usage times between the carrier's recording and the phone's recording. If you track for a longer period of time (like a week) they should be fairly close. But not for a day.

Jun 20, 2018 10:55 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thanks IdrisSeabright for the suggestion!

I have downloaded it, but it is not as useful as I hoped, because it is the same info as logging into the AT&T website, and it won't allow us to figure out directly which apps on his phone are the culprits for using the most cellular data.

Also, I don't want to install it on my son's phone because I would have to give him my password and extra security code and then he would have full access to the account including making changes to the plan (I trust him, but I am still against this idea).

Jun 20, 2018 11:04 AM in response to arctan

There is no way to get which apps use data from the AT&T site, because AT&T doesn't know that information, and you don't want them to, because they are rather "liberal" in how they share data they collect with third parties (see: AT&T, Sprint, Verizon to Stop Sharing Customer Location Data With Third Parties — Krebs on Security).

In Settings/Cellular it will list data by app. I reset it once a month at the start of the billing period, and sometimes take screen shots if I am tracking something. Over the long haul it's pretty accurate.

Jun 20, 2018 11:14 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thank you Lawrence for the useful technical explanation and for raising the possibility of retransmissions.

In the 3-day span I referred to, the difference between the iOS reported number and the AT&T reported number was 14-fold. We didn't write down the iOS-reported cellular uage number from the previous month, but my son said he checks regularly and tries to stay under 1 GB per month. However the AT&T bill reported almost 3 GB, which is still a ~3-fold difference.

Now that we know of this issue, we will follow for a longer time frame and compare with the AT&T usage logs. I understand what you said about the bulk data reporting (the AT&T logs show entries every three hours), but something still seems really off, so we will check the usage stats more carefully, and perhaps retransmissions are a significant factor.

iOS cellular usage statistics inaccurate?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.