Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air Keyboard & Trackpad not working

Hello,

I bought a Macbook Air (13 inch) last year. Last week, I opened it up and entered my password as usual, but when I logged in and tried to actually USE the laptop, I found that the keyboard and trackpad were very very, laggy, as in I would type something and I would sit and wait a solid ten seconds for it to actually work. I used a plug-in and bluetooth mouse and they both worked fine, however the trackpad did not.

I tried restarting the laptop, but it wouldn't turn on again for a while. I've tried restarting and shutting down and sometimes when I press the power button it does turn on, and sometimes it takes an incredibly long time for it to register. The odd thing is that when I click my user and type in my password it works perfectly. Every time i manage to turn it back on, when it loads everything up and my desktop comes up, it always pops up with 'keyboard not connected' on the Bluetooth keyboard search screen. This makes me think that it's not a hardware issue, but a technical one. I'm taking it in on Wednesday to get it looked at, but I'd rather see if I can fix the laptop myself before then.

I have also tried updating my laptop, but I'm not sure if it worked or not.

Help is much appreciated.

MacBook Air

Posted on Jun 24, 2018 12:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2018 1:34 PM

Hello SashaDaDragon,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.
I understand from your post you're having issues with the keyboard and trackpad not working as expected and are lagging.
I see you have tried a few great troubleshooting steps so far.

I would recommend resetting the SMC - it's detailed in How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
but the procedure for a MacBook Air is:
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Let us know if you are still expiencing the issue afer the reset.
Cheers!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 25, 2018 1:34 PM in response to SashaDaDragon

Hello SashaDaDragon,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.
I understand from your post you're having issues with the keyboard and trackpad not working as expected and are lagging.
I see you have tried a few great troubleshooting steps so far.

I would recommend resetting the SMC - it's detailed in How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac
but the procedure for a MacBook Air is:
  1. Shut down the computer.
  2. Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
  3. On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
  4. Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
  5. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
    Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.
Let us know if you are still expiencing the issue afer the reset.
Cheers!

MacBook Air Keyboard & Trackpad not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.