Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail Background Activity draining battery iOS 11.4

I have an iPhone 6s, and until about a week ago had no problems with my battery. Since then, though, Mail Background Activity has been draining battery like crazy. This in spite of the fact that I have Background App Refresh off for all apps, and have set Mail to fetch every 15 minutes. In the last 24 hours, charge has dropped from 100% to 30%, and Mail has used 45% of that (showing only 2 minutes on screen and 2 minutes background). My battery health reports 89% max capacity. How can I stop Mail from draining the battery?!?

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 27, 2018 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2018 12:15 PM

So mail has used 45% of 70% or 32% of your total battery usage. That may or may not be normal depending on how much mail you have gotten, whether it's Wi-Fi or cellular data, and if cellular how strong the signal was. Note that background app refresh has nothing to do with mail if you have it set to Fetch. With Fetch enabled mail will wake up and download all new mail every 15 minutes. That is not considered a background operation.

You can try restarting the phone (Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support) if you think your mail volume does not account for that amount of drain.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2018 12:15 PM in response to jmart91

So mail has used 45% of 70% or 32% of your total battery usage. That may or may not be normal depending on how much mail you have gotten, whether it's Wi-Fi or cellular data, and if cellular how strong the signal was. Note that background app refresh has nothing to do with mail if you have it set to Fetch. With Fetch enabled mail will wake up and download all new mail every 15 minutes. That is not considered a background operation.

You can try restarting the phone (Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support) if you think your mail volume does not account for that amount of drain.

Jun 27, 2018 12:43 PM in response to BORg529

Thanks, I will go Manual and see how that works. I'm still a little mystified as to why this has changed noticeably in the past week or so, with no changes to Settings or cell/wifi coverage (haven't traveled at all), and as to why I'm getting Background Activity when Background App Refresh has been off for months. Other threads seem to indicate that turning off the App Refresh will eliminate Background Activity, although I couldn't confirm that for sure (and my phone certainly seems to indicate otherwise!).

Jun 27, 2018 2:44 PM in response to jmart91

There is no way to completely eliminate background activity; mail Fetch will run in background whether you have background app refresh enabled or not. As will Notifications, incoming text messages, phone calls, app alerts, Reminders, Alarms, Timers, photo sync, Music and podcast apps, etc. Background App Refresh specifically applies to apps that independently, without any external stimulus, "want" to run to do some sort of processing such as updating their database periodically. Very few apps actually do this, but it is an option that developers may choose to use. But any app that can respond to an external stimulus can still run in background to process it regardless of the setting.

Mail Background Activity draining battery iOS 11.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.