Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend network with Airport Time Capsule

Hi,

I have an Airport Time Capsule and I was hoping that I could use it to extend the WiFi network created by the router provided by my ISP.

I understand the concept of using multiple Airport devices and having the primary device connected to my ISP router by ethernet with subsequent Airport devices communicating with each other and extending the network wirelessly; however, I was hoping there was a way to set this up with only one Airport device.

Can someone please advise if this is possible or not?

Thanks.

Apple Watch, watchOS 2

Posted on Jun 27, 2018 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2018 3:30 PM

If your goal is to extend the wireless range of your ISP-provided router with any Apple base station, the connection between them must be a wired one. If this is acceptable, then we can help you set this up and to do so we will need to start with the exact make & model of your ISP-provided wireless router.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2018 3:30 PM in response to Rigid27

If your goal is to extend the wireless range of your ISP-provided router with any Apple base station, the connection between them must be a wired one. If this is acceptable, then we can help you set this up and to do so we will need to start with the exact make & model of your ISP-provided wireless router.

Jun 27, 2018 3:38 PM in response to Rigid27

Unfortunately not, as Apple uses a propriety technology for extending their base stations over a wireless connection between them. Actually, this is pretty much true for most other router manufacturers that require that you use "their" equipment only for extending.

One other option if running Ethernet between routers is undesirable, is to use Powerlink adapters instead. These adapters can create a pseudo Ethernet connection between devices by taking advantage of existing home electrical wiring. So, in your case, you would need a minimum of two of these; one placed by each router and plugged into their respective power outlet. You would then run a short Ethernet cable between each adapter and their respective routers' Ethernet ports.

Jun 27, 2018 4:23 PM in response to Rigid27

Normally known as Powerline, EOP or homeplug particularly in US.

They come in various speeds.. AV500 being pretty much the standard now.. but if your budget can stretch AV1000 or AV1200 can do a lot better.. Like wireless all of these so called speeds are lies.. the bigger the number.. (up to AV2000 now) the bigger the lie.

Also they don't always work so buy from a store with good return policy.

Extend network with Airport Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.