Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shrunken screen on eMac

I have an eMac that displays on a small portion of the screen rather than the entire screen. I’ve tried changing display settings in system preferences, reinstalling the software, and reseting the motherboard. The startup screen comes up full screen, but once it goes to the desktop it becomes small. I’m currently running Mac OS X 10.2 Jaguar.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

null-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.2.x)

Posted on Jun 28, 2018 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2018 8:52 AM

Early eMacs had a known issue that caused the screen to distort or collapse. It was caused by a bad IVAD cable. I am thinking that's what you've encountered. Units most often affected were from time of introduction (April 2002) though fall 2002. Most of the affected units received new cables and later first models never showed symptoms. Interesting discussion here:

https://www.applefritter.com/node/11028

We may be of more help is you can hlep us identify your exact sub-model as, of the four families of eMacs, two had known serious hardware issues. First see this Apple support article:

eMac: How to locate the serial number and identify your model - Apple Support

The lookup table has lost its borders (at least in Safari 11) so this copied image may be easier to read:

User uploaded file

Once we know the sub-model we can beter advise a troubleshoting scheme.

If we need to recommend parts, that is easier if you let us know roughly in what part of the world you reside. It does you little good if we recommend a vendor who does not ship to your region.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 1, 2018 8:52 AM in response to Bossatroneo8

Early eMacs had a known issue that caused the screen to distort or collapse. It was caused by a bad IVAD cable. I am thinking that's what you've encountered. Units most often affected were from time of introduction (April 2002) though fall 2002. Most of the affected units received new cables and later first models never showed symptoms. Interesting discussion here:

https://www.applefritter.com/node/11028

We may be of more help is you can hlep us identify your exact sub-model as, of the four families of eMacs, two had known serious hardware issues. First see this Apple support article:

eMac: How to locate the serial number and identify your model - Apple Support

The lookup table has lost its borders (at least in Safari 11) so this copied image may be easier to read:

User uploaded file

Once we know the sub-model we can beter advise a troubleshoting scheme.

If we need to recommend parts, that is easier if you let us know roughly in what part of the world you reside. It does you little good if we recommend a vendor who does not ship to your region.

Jun 28, 2018 10:21 AM in response to Bossatroneo8

Could be the PRAM NVAM may be a direction to look. Because these settings

can also be affected if the clock battery (..1/2 AA 3.6V Lithium battery on LB..)

no longer supplies minimal power to keep the settings memory alive. That may

be part of a solution; to get a new battery and also reset PRAM/NVRAM.

An iFixit guide may be helpful to access the panel to replace this battery.

eMac: How to Replace the Backup Battery - Apple Support

How to reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If you experience issues related to settings stored in NVRAM or PRAM, ...

display resolution, ... How to reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac.

User uploaded filehttps://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204063

User uploaded file

Shrunken screen on eMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.