Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dual boot with older OS

Hi,

I have High Sierra installed on my mac and have had problem all year with some software that isn't compatible and have thought about installing an older version of OS on a second partition.

I have partitioned a portion of the hard disk and a separate external drive but the disks don't show as bootable and even when I go to install the older OS am being advised the system is too old and cant install - any help suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks

iMac, Macbook Pro

Posted on Jun 29, 2018 1:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2018 5:03 PM

Make a bootable installer, and install that OS on the partition.

You should be able to select the partition when you run the install.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Just change the name of your usb stick to "MyVolume" and copy/paste the command for the appropriate OS (from the article). The name of the usb stick will be changed, so it doesn't matter what you name it. Using MyVolume means you don't have to change the command at all.

I assume you already have the Installer downloaded and it is still in the Applications folder.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2018 5:03 PM in response to Roth08

Make a bootable installer, and install that OS on the partition.

You should be able to select the partition when you run the install.

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Just change the name of your usb stick to "MyVolume" and copy/paste the command for the appropriate OS (from the article). The name of the usb stick will be changed, so it doesn't matter what you name it. Using MyVolume means you don't have to change the command at all.

I assume you already have the Installer downloaded and it is still in the Applications folder.

Dual boot with older OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.