Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari redirected

Frequently while on Safari v 11.1 the web site I am viewing will be redirected to either a site claiming I have a virus or my Flash Player needs updating. I've noticed that the URL grabbing my web site is called "dynamic2pixel.com" which instantly transfers me again to either a virus warning or flash player update site. I've contacted Apple and have done all of their recommendations including installing Malwarebytes, deleting history, removing cookies, removing suspicious applications, unchecking unneeded plug-ins, emptying trash, etc. Nothing works for long. I investigated removing "zombie cookies" which reappear almost instantly after removal even though I haven't visited any sites. Still no luck. Anyone else cursed with this problem? Any fresh ideas to rid me of this? MacBook Pro w/MacOS 10.13.4 High Sierra

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Jul 1, 2018 10:59 AM

Similar questions

13 replies

Jul 4, 2018 5:04 PM in response to chrisfromchampaign

The website can be hacked to perform a redirect to another location via several methods:

1. HTML Meta refresh tag to a different URL
  2. JavaScript — assigning a different URL to a Window location
  3. Modifying a rule in the .htaccess file on an Apache Web server to perform a 301 redirect to another URL

Someone on the site that you initially visit, has not caught this hack yet, or is knowingly getting paid for the redirection. Have you contacted the site adminstrator?

Jul 1, 2018 1:51 PM in response to chrisfromchampaign

As the 2nd article points out, they are capable of regenerating after deletion with files that go to many parts of the system.

Safari/Browsers – can’t delete cookies

Evercookie

The myth of the dangerous cookie

Quit Safari.

In Finder go to Go menu and then Go to Folder.

Copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/Databases.

Delete the contents of the folder.

Launch Safari again and check if all is ok.

If that doesn’t work, copy and paste this ~/Library/Safari/LocalStorage.

Delete the contents of the folder.

Then go to Safari/History and delete any entries for the related websites.

Test.

Jul 2, 2018 11:16 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric,

Unfortunately this didn't work. The highjacking of a web site happens spontaneously without any input from me. Meaning, I don't need to click on anything nor touch the keyboard for it to happen. For instance, I had a web site open and stepped away for a moment. Upon returning I found that https://dynamic2pixel.com had grabbed the site and farmed it to another URL which said my flash player needs updating. I've talked with Apple support twice previously on this matter and they've walked me through cleaning out plug-ins, extensions, odd-apps, history, emptying trash, installing Malwarebytes, etc, etc, doing much of the same steps you pointed out. Then, almost as a taunt, https://dynamic2pixel.com will strike again moments after I've completed my session with Apple support.

I did a little research on dynamic2pixel.com. I believe they are a recent group working on a server out of San Francisco. Server IP: 104.27.186.144; Server Location: San Francisco,CA,United States; ISP: CloudFlare; Phone: +1 5163872248

If you have any further info or suggestions, please keep me posted. Thanks again for your concern and follow-up.

Jul 2, 2018 1:31 PM in response to chrisfromchampaign

You are welcome. It may not help, but try running this program in your normal user account, then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy Report” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. You can run the report for free at least once, but if you run it several times, at some point it will ask you to pay a license fee.

Etrecheck – System Information

Jul 3, 2018 2:13 PM in response to Eric Root

This is the report:

EtreCheck version: 4.3.3 (4D036)

Report generated: 2018-07-03 14:06:41

Download EtreCheck from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 3:28

Performance: Good

Problem: Other problem

Description:

https://dynamic2pixel.com is highjacking websites and re-directing to virus warning or flash player update websites

Major Issues: None

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems.

Upgradeable hard drive- This machine’s hard drive could be replaced with an SSD. This would dramatically improve your machine’s performance.

High battery cycle count- Your battery may be losing capacity.

Apps with heavy CPU usage- There have been numerous cases of apps with heavy CPU usage.

Clean up- There are orphan files that could be removed.

Unsigned files- There is unsigned software installed. They appear to be legitimate but should be reviewed.

32-bit Apps- This machine has 32-bits apps that may have problems in the future.

Hardware Information:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)

MacBook Pro Model: MacBookPro9,2

1 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 (i5-3210M) CPU: 2-core

8 GB RAM - At maximum

BANK 0/DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR3 1600 ok

BANK 1/DIMM0 - 4 GB DDR3 1600 ok

Battery: Health = Normal - Cycle count = 798

Video Information:

Intel HD Graphics 4000 - VRAM: 1536 MB

Color LCD 1280 x 800

Drives:

disk0 - APPLE HDD HTS545050A7E362 500.11 GB (Mechanical)

Internal SATA 3 Gigabit Serial ATA

disk0s1 - EFI (MS-DOS FAT32) [EFI] 210 MB

disk0s2 [Core Storage Container] 499.25 GB

disk1 - Macintosh HD (Journaled HFS+) 498.89 GB

disk0s3 - Recovery HD (Journaled HFS+) [Recovery] 650 MB

Mounted Volumes:

disk1 - Macintosh HD 498.89 GB (419.25 GB free)

Journaled HFS+

Mount point: /

Network:

Interface Bluetooth-Modem: Bluetooth DUN

Interface en0: Ethernet

Interface fw0: FireWire

Interface en1: Wi-Fi

802.11 a/b/g/n

One IPv4 address

Interface en3: Bluetooth PAN

Interface bridge0: Thunderbolt Bridge

iCloud Quota: 2.80 GB available

System Software:

macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E199)

Time since boot: About 2 hours

System Load: 1.50 (1 min ago) 1.57 (5 min ago) 1.57 (15 min ago)

Security:

SystemStatus
GatekeeperMac App Store and identified developers
System Integrity ProtectionEnabled

Unsigned Files:

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist

Executable: /Library/PrivilegedHelperTools/com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper

Details: Exact match found in the whitelist - probably OK

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.dtv.vgconnect.uninstall.plist

Executable: /bin/sh -c /tmp/vgconnect.DTV/condUninstall.sh

Launchd: /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist

Executable: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Resources/Helper-Tool

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.dtv.vgconnect.plist

Executable: /bin/sh -c $HOME/Library/NDSPCShowServer.DTV/NDSPCShowServer.DTV.bundle/Contents/Resources /launch.sh

Launchd: ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.skype.skype.shareagent.plist

Executable: /Applications/Skype.app/Contents/Library/LaunchServices/com.skype.skype.shareag ent.bundle/Contents/MacOS/com.skype.skype.shareagent

Launchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist

Executable: /Library/Internet Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin/Contents/Resources/Java Updater.app/Contents/MacOS/Java Updater -bgcheck

32-bit Applications:

34 32-bit apps

Kernel Extensions:

/Library/Extensions

[Loaded] MB_MBAM_Protection.kext (Malwarebytes Corporation, 3.3 - SDK 10.13)

System Launch Agents:

[Not Loaded]8 Apple tasks
[Loaded]179 Apple tasks
[Running]105 Apple tasks
[Other]One Apple task

System Launch Daemons:

[Not Loaded]35 Apple tasks
[Loaded]188 Apple tasks
[Running]111 Apple tasks
[Other]One Apple task

Launch Agents:

[Loaded]com.microsoft.update.agent.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2018-05-21)
[Loaded]com.google.keystone.agent.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2018-02-03)
[Loaded]com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist (? 7534e5a1 - installed 2017-12-19)
[Other]com.adobe.ARMDCHelper.cc24aef4a1b90ed56a725c38014c95072f92651fb65e1bf9c8e43c37a2 3d420d.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2018-02-14)
[Running]com.malwarebytes.mbam.frontend.agent.plist (Malwarebytes Corporation - installed 2018-05-22)

Launch Daemons:

[Loaded]com.adobe.ARMDC.SMJobBlessHelper.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2018-02-14)
[Running]com.malwarebytes.mbam.settings.daemon.plist (Malwarebytes Corporation - installed 2018-05-22)
[Loaded]com.microsoft.autoupdate.helper.plist (Microsoft Corporation - installed 2018-05-21)
[Running]com.malwarebytes.mbam.rtprotection.daemon.plist (Malwarebytes Corporation - installed 2018-05-22)
[Loaded]com.adobe.fpsaud.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2018-06-01)
[Loaded]com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist (? 6d8cb30e - installed 2011-03-10)
[Loaded]com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist (? e3fefdd2 - installed 2017-12-19)
[Loaded]com.adobe.ARMDC.Communicator.plist (Adobe Systems, Inc. - installed 2018-02-14)
[Loaded]com.google.keystone.daemon.plist (Google, Inc. - installed 2018-03-05)

User Launch Agents:

[Other]com.google.keystone.agent.plist (? 0 - installed 2016-03-02)
[Loaded]com.apple.AddressBook.ScheduledSync.PHXCardDAVSource.C7055F51-5015-4BDF-AC71-10C 58F6EF82D.plist (Apple - installed 2018-05-20)
[Running]com.hp.devicemonitor.plist (HP Inc. - installed 2018-07-03)
[Loaded]com.dtv.vgconnect.uninstall.plist (? 0 - installed 2018-03-27)
[Running]com.dtv.vgconnect.plist (? 0 - installed 2018-03-27)
[Loaded]com.skype.skype.shareagent.plist (? 0 - installed 2017-12-26)
[Other]com.adobe.ARM.***.plist (? 0 - installed 2013-04-23)

User Login Items:

LoginHelper SMLoginItem (Mac App Store - installed 2018-05-06)

(/Applications/Memory Clean 2.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/LoginHelper.app)

HP Device Monitor SMLoginItem (HP Inc. - installed 2017-11-03)

(/Library/Printers/hp/Frameworks/HPDeviceMonitoring.framework/Versions/1.0/Helpe rs/HP Device Monitor Manager.app/Contents/Library/LoginItems/HP Device Monitor.app)

Internet Plug-ins:

FlashPlayer-10.6: 30.0.0.113 (installed 2018-06-07)

QuickTime Plugin: 7.7.3 (installed 2018-03-27)

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: 15.010.20056 (installed 2015-12-18)

CouponPrinter-FireFox_v2: 5.4.2 (installed 2016-01-11)

AdobePDFViewer: 15.010.20056 (installed 2015-12-18)

Flash Player: 30.0.0.113 (installed 2018-06-07)

SharePointBrowserPlugin: 14.7.7 (installed 2018-06-10)

DirectorShockwave: 12.1.3r153 (installed 2014-06-24)

JavaAppletPlugin: Java 8 Update 161 build 12 (installed 2018-02-26)

User Internet Plug-ins:

OctoshapeWeb: 1.0 (installed 2018-05-10)

3rd Party Preference Panes:

Flash Player (installed 2018-06-01)

Java (installed 2018-02-26)

Time Machine:

Skip System Files: No

Mobile backups: Yes

Auto backup: Yes

Volumes being backed up:

Macintosh HD: Disk size: 498.89 GB - Disk used: 79.63 GB

Destinations:

M********** [Local] (Last used)

Total size: 1.00 TB

Total number of backups: 139

Oldest backup: 2013-03-18 11:21:46

Last backup: 2018-06-25 13:39:47

Top Processes by CPU:

Process (count)Source% of CPULocation
SubmitDiagInfoApple36
sandboxdApple18
WindowServerApple7
kernel_taskApple3
HP Device MonitorHP Inc.0

Top Processes by Memory:

Process (count)SourceRAM usageLocation
kernel_taskApple733 MB
com.apple.WebKit.WebContent (3)Apple350 MB
SafariApple208 MB
mds_storesApple145 MB
Microsoft OutlookMicrosoft Corporation134 MB

Top Processes by Network Use:

ProcessSourceInputOutputLocation
mDNSResponderApple154 KB68 KB
com.apple.WebKit.NetworkingApple70 KB102 KB
apsdApple8 KB11 KB
netbiosdApple12 KB6 KB
SystemUIServerApple0 B64 B

Top Processes by Energy Use:

Process (count)SourceEnergy (0-100)Location
RTProtectionDaemonMalwarebytes Corporation1
SubmitDiagInfoApple1
HP Device MonitorHP Inc.1
sharingdApple0
WindowServerApple0

Virtual Memory Information:

Available RAM4.40 GB
Free RAM1.14 GB
Used RAM3.60 GB
Cached files3.25 GB
Swap Used0 B

Software Installs (past 30 days):

NameVersionInstall Date
Adobe Flash Player30.0.0.1132018-06-07
Office 2011 14.7.7 Update14.7.72018-06-10
Malwarebytes for Mac1.02018-06-11

Clean up:

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.ARM.***.plist

/Applications/Adobe Reader.app/Contents/MacOS/Updater/Adobe Reader Updater Helper.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe Reader Updater Helper

Executable not found

~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.google.keystone.agent.plist

/Users/***/Library/Google/GoogleSoftwareUpdate/GoogleSoftwareUpdate.bundle/Conte nts/Resources/GoogleSoftwareUpdateAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/GoogleSoftwareUpdateA gent

Executable not found

Diagnostics Information (past 7 days):

2018-07-02 23:15:04 com.apple.WebKit.WebContent CPU (11 times)

/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.Web Kit.WebContent.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.WebKit.WebContent

End of report

Jul 3, 2018 2:42 PM in response to chrisfromchampaign

I don't see any software that normally causes problems. Have you tried deleting the cache.db?

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Caches/com.apple.Safari/Cache.db and move it to the trash.

Jul 4, 2018 2:29 PM in response to Eric Root

Eric,

Moving just cache.db to the trash did not solve the problem as dynamic2pixel struck again soon thereafter. I went ahead and moved ALL cache.db files, i.e. cache.db, cache.db-shm, and cache.db-wal to the trash and emptied the trash after making sure Safari still functioned. Just to be sure, I again cleared the history, removed all cookies, closed Safari, opened Finder, removed all cache.db files to the trash, emptied the trash, and restarted Safari.

Time will tell if this does the trick. I'll keep you posted. I should have a pretty good idea soon since I have been hit by this redirection problem daily. BTW, this problem only began about 2-3 months ago. Prior to that it was not even an issue and I've been a Safari user since 2012.

Again, thanks for your assistance. At the very least I've learned a lot about the inner workings of Safari. Hope you have or had a great 4th.

Jul 6, 2018 3:20 PM in response to chrisfromchampaign

Knock-on-wood I believe the issue has been resolved. At least I haven't been redirected for the last day and one-half. Despite all the deletions and removals to the trash, and even emptying the trash I kept getting hit with re-directions almost at an increasing pace. Reminded me of attempting to cut out a cancer only to get hit 10X harder, as if it were taunting me. What I finally decided to do before contacting site administrators as VikingOSX suggested, was to redo each and every step you outlined in your previous comments, in order. But instead of re-opening Safari as the last step, I did a shut down of my Mac. Upon re-starting and opening Safari, I seem to be free. I'm thinking the re-direction virus had parked itself in RAM and upon seeing that I was deleting all caches where it had squirreled away it's code, started bombarding me with re-direction commands in virtually every web site I went to, at almost a frantic pace.

Anyway, I want to thank you and VikingOSX for your advice and staying with me on this. Hopefully this has totally resolved this issue. If not, I'll have to figure out how to contact site administrators.

Jul 6, 2018 3:24 PM in response to Eric Root

Knock-on-wood I believe the issue has been resolved. At least I haven't been redirected for the last day and one-half. Despite all the deletions and removals to the trash, and even emptying the trash I kept getting hit with re-directions almost at an increasing pace. Reminded me of attempting to cut out a cancer only to get hit 10X harder, as if it were taunting me. What I finally decided to do before contacting site administrators as VikingOSX suggested, was to redo each and every step you outlined in your previous comments, in order. But instead of re-opening Safari as the last step, I did a shut down of my Mac. Upon re-starting and opening Safari, I seem to be free. I'm thinking the re-direction virus had parked itself in RAM and upon seeing that I was deleting all caches where it had squirreled away it's code, started bombarding me with re-direction commands in virtually every web site I went to, at almost a frantic pace.

Anyway, I want to thank you and VikingOSX for your advice and staying with me on this. Hopefully this has totally resolved this issue. If not, I'll have to figure out how to contact site administrators.

Safari redirected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.