Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Store app won't update

iPhone 8 - Just bought it and finished setting up.

Everything installed Ok and all apps, except the Apple Store app, updated Ok.

Battery fully charged and also tried when plugged into the mains, tried signing out of my apple account on the phone then back in but this makes no difference.

Software version 11.4

Any suggestions as to how to cure please?

iPhone 8, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 2, 2018 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2018 12:23 PM

The Apple Store app isn't a build-in app. It should be possible to remove it, then locate it in the App Store app to reinstall it. Try rebooting your device and see if you can then either update or remove it.

tt2

49 replies

Sep 20, 2018 9:43 AM in response to LairdGog

All the instructions given in my previous response are done from the actual APPLE store app, not the APP store app. They are two completely different apps. To prove this, you can go to the search bar on your home screen and search “Apple Store”. The Apple store app I am referring to will populate for you. I am aware that attempting to update the Apple Store app from the App store update list does not work. It does not work because you have not logged into the Apple store app with your Apple ID yet. Once you have logged into the Apple store app with your Apple ID, the Apple store app itself, will prompt you to update the app from within the Apple store app. This will then allow you to update the Apple store app in the App store update listing if it has not been updated already. This solution has been tested and proven. You do not have to resort to deleting the Apple store app as the only solution.

Dec 21, 2018 5:54 AM in response to Theguythatfoundtheanswer

Thanks. I followed your instructions on iPhone XS, and it worked. Maybe I can help break it down according to what I found:

1. Go to your iPhone's home page (in my case iPhone XS.)
  2. put your finger on the center of the screen and drag down. This will reveal the search field.
  3. Enter "Apple Store". You will see a list of options, arranged under different categories: Settings, Applications, Siri Knowledge, Top Hits, News, etc. What we are interested in are the ones under "Applications" or "Top Hits".
  4. Select the app labeled "Apple Store" (It has a blue icon like a bag with the Apple logo in the middle).
  5. If you are not logged in, you will be prompted to enter your apple ID password. Note: This seem to be different from the other login you find in Settings->iTunes&App Store. Once you have entered your correct details, the page will exit. In my case, it just exited without any warning or confirmation message.
  6. Go back to your home page, and re-open the App Store app. Then tap on the Update tab. It should then begin updating.

Hope this will help clarify the instructions from "Theguythatfoundtheanswer", and hopefully it helps someone. Like I mentioned I did this on the iPhone XS and it worked. Not sure about other models

Sep 20, 2018 1:46 AM in response to tomg35

I had the same issue. You have to click on the actual “Apple store” app from your home screen. (The Apple store app should not be confused with the App Store app!) Once you click the Apple store app, it will ask for you to sign in with your Apple ID. Once you have signed into the app with your Apple ID; it will prompt you to update the app. You will then click update and the app will FINALLY update. I hope this helps.

Sep 20, 2018 1:48 AM in response to Linzwrt

I had the same issue. You have to click on the actual “Apple store” app from your home screen. (The Apple store app should not be confused with the App Store app!) Once you click the Apple store app, it will ask for you to sign in with your Apple ID. Once you have signed into the app with your Apple ID; it will prompt you to update the app. You will then click update and the app will FINALLY update. I hope this helps

Oct 4, 2018 8:20 PM in response to tomg35

Hi, not sure if you fixed the problem yet but here's the solution.

1. Apple Store is seperate App to the App Store App.

2. From iPhone Home Screen scroll to the right and find the Apple Store App (Blue Suitcase with Apple Logo) and open the App.

3. Once you open the Apple Store App you will be prompted to Update the App.

4. The prompts will get you to the App Store and you'll see the Update button.

5. Click Update and the App Store App will be updated

6. Open the Apple Store App again after update and the RED 1 update on App Store will disappear

Hope this helps and it works for you

Oct 13, 2018 10:49 AM in response to tomg35

The following solution worked for me.

I opened the Apple Store app. It asked me to update and I did. So next time when I went to App Store it showed me as updated. It was not allowing me to update from App Store directly however when I opened the Apple Store app by double clicking it and updating worked for me. I have updated my Iphone 8 to version 12.1

Nov 23, 2018 3:03 AM in response to tomg35

I tried every suggestion on every site and it did not work. I then thought "let me open and close the apps that would not update and see what happens." Gold! I opened each app, there were a few steps to get to the app's main screen (continue>got it) then I closed all of them. Went to the app store to update and it worked! Enjoy!

Dec 8, 2018 3:48 PM in response to tomg35

I actually just had a similar experience with my iPad I just bought. In the app store the update for Apple store was showing but wouldn't update. I finally realized that to update it you have to be signed into the app to let it know you are using it and then it will update like all other apps. So, if anyone has this issue, do just that, find the apple store app on your device, sign into it with your Apple ID, and it will actually prompt you that there is an update for it, will take you to the app store, and then you select "update".

Apple Store app won't update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.