Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

hotmail and Mac Mail

I want to add my hotmail address to MacMail on my MacBook Pro 13 in 2016, 2Ghz Intel Core i5 using MacOS Sierra (10.12.6). I have followed the necessary steps to add the account but I keep getting a message saying my password is not recognised. I have checked with Outlook online to ensure that my password is valid which it is and gives me access to my email account online.

How can I solve this issue?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Jul 2, 2018 1:58 PM

8 replies

Jul 2, 2018 2:37 PM in response to Hemiola

My guess is that you haven enabled two-step verification with your Microsoft user account ... correct? If that is the case, you will need to generate an app-specific password for your Outlook email account to be used in the Mail app in order to access it.

Jul 3, 2018 9:43 AM in response to Hemiola

You will need to create an app-specific password from your Microsoft account (not from Apple) to use with the Mail app if you want to access your Outlook email. This is exactly what I have done for my Microsoft account and I no longer get the "password not recognized" error. I have already provided you with the Microsoft link to do so.

Jul 3, 2018 10:20 AM in response to Tesserax

Thank you very much. I followed the link and set up one hotmail account successfully so that I no longer get the password incorrect message.

However, I then tried to set up the next hotmail account. I get a request on my Mac Pro to install the authenticator app. I try to do that and it says it is already installed. The authenticator app on the phone requests the security code which cannot be generated because the app is already installed.

Jul 5, 2018 3:19 AM in response to Tesserax

I eventually decided to start again from scratch, uninstall Authenticator and set up my email accounts as "Personal."This prevented the need to scan a non-existant barcode, and instead went through my Microsoft account which, though long-winded, enabled the accounts to be set up without the dreaded "Password not recognised."

Thanks for your assistance anyway.

hotmail and Mac Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.