Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Static Screen

After my MacBook Pro has been asleep for some time, short or long, when I open the screen it is static for a couple of seconds. What could be causing this problem?

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5), Laptop is only couple of weeks old

Posted on Jul 3, 2018 3:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 3, 2018 6:15 PM

It potentially could be a number of things ... both hardware and/or software related.

Since you just got your notebook, my first recommendation is to make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store to have them take a look.

In the mean time, please try the following, in order. Stop at any step where the issue is resolved:

1. Reset your Mac's SMC.
    • Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac- Apple Support
    • Fans, keyboard backlight, status indicator, battery indicator, display backlight, power button, close/open the lid, sleep or shut down, battery doesn't charge, MagSafe indicator light incorrect status.
    • Hold down the <shift><control><option> keys, and then, press the power button. Hold all of them for, at least, 10 seconds.
  2. Reset your Mac's NVRAM.
  3. Boot up your Mac in Safe Mode.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac- Apple Support

4. Run the Apple Diagnostics to uncover any hardware issues with your Mac.
  5. Make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 3, 2018 6:15 PM in response to WorthO43

It potentially could be a number of things ... both hardware and/or software related.

Since you just got your notebook, my first recommendation is to make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store to have them take a look.

In the mean time, please try the following, in order. Stop at any step where the issue is resolved:

1. Reset your Mac's SMC.
    • Reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac- Apple Support
    • Fans, keyboard backlight, status indicator, battery indicator, display backlight, power button, close/open the lid, sleep or shut down, battery doesn't charge, MagSafe indicator light incorrect status.
    • Hold down the <shift><control><option> keys, and then, press the power button. Hold all of them for, at least, 10 seconds.
  2. Reset your Mac's NVRAM.
  3. Boot up your Mac in Safe Mode.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac- Apple Support

4. Run the Apple Diagnostics to uncover any hardware issues with your Mac.
  5. Make a Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store.

Nov 26, 2018 1:14 PM in response to jovanap

I just got a new 2018 Mac mini. It's running Mojave 10.14.1. I'm using it with an Asus PB278. It has this exact issue. Long sleep results in static on the display. It will usually clear up after a few to several seconds. Hot-plugging the HDMI cable or power-cycling the monitor will also fix it. This sure looks like a display driver bug to me.

Sep 6, 2018 6:34 PM in response to WorthO43

I started having this problem immediately after installing the newest update High Sierra 10.13.6. two days ago. It's been happening ever since and it's a problem if it sleeps for 5 minutes or 5 hours.

Possibly related are problems when using Safari. Cursor will freeze and only when I swipe up with multiple fingers to view open windows then go back into Safari does the problem stop.

Will follow the above troubleshooting steps but am quite sure it's an update problem and will keep an eye out for a new update.

Sep 19, 2018 5:57 AM in response to WorthO43

Yes, keen to your how your appointment went ?

Because I've got the same issue. Mine started happening straight after I bought the MacBook earlier this year in March. I thought it would be a temporary software issue so ensured all the apps and software update were up to date. Contacted online technical support and was asked to reset NVRAM and SMC. No luck so booked an appointment at the Genius Bar at Apple. They couldn't find the issue so they just reset my laptop and reinstalled the operating system. However, just brought it home today. Same issue is still there. Nothing has been resolved.

Oct 30, 2018 1:12 PM in response to WorthO43

I have the same problem with my 2017 13inch MacBook Pro. It happens occasionally, not every time, and it lasts for a few seconds or even a second. They still don't know what's causing this issues, but it's believed that it doesn't affects Macbook, I mean our MacBooks are working properly and there's nothing wrong with them. And it's very common, I found a lot of people with the same problem online. Someone in Facebook group for MacBook users told me that updating to Mohave OS will help, but I haven't tried it yet.

Static Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.