Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac on This Roll Top Desk?

After over thirty years in the PC/Windows world, I'm ready to make the switch to iMac. I'm retired, and I write novels using Scrivener. Here's my current setup (that's a 17" laptop):

User uploaded file

Note that I do not need to close the roll top.

If I get an iMac, the top of the display would be above the top of the upper shelf. I calculate that the screen surface would be only six inches from the front of the desk. I would replace the pencil drawer with a keyboard tray.

I do not want a macbook because I want a larger screen.

I might buy a 21.5" or a 27" iMac.

Do you think that arrangement would be feasible? Anybody have that kind of configuration?

Many thanks!

Posted on Jul 4, 2018 1:54 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jul 5, 2018 4:46 PM in response to TromboneAl

Anything goes Al...whatever works for you.

Here's my primary Mac (27" 5K) atop an old nightstand that's only about 20 inches wide and a foot deep on the top shelf. it's only saving grace is being out of the main traffic lane in our living room. Your's will be somewhat safer than mine as it has the rear of your roll top preventing a backwards topple.

User uploaded file

Jul 5, 2018 5:16 PM in response to TromboneAl

I prefer the Saxaphone, as it is closer to the HumanVoice... but we digress. You have two Questions here, actually. The first being the Ergonomic Setup of a new machine and it's display... atop the desk that you are comfortable-with and used-to being in-front-of; when the youngsters get to be our age, only then will they understand 'why' you need to use your existing desk. >>>>> Placing any display-size on that desk top, may have it 'too low' (depending on your existing comfy chair's seat-height/your height, etc). When seated, your eyes should be aligned with your display about 2/3rds of the way up... for most people. The whole point is to avoid neck strain. It can too-easily occur, without you even being aware of it, until a few weeks later when you wake up with locked neck muscles, or have head aches. If you use a slide-out keyboard tray for KB and Mouse, that 'should' place your eyes 'back' away from the display, far enough (depending on your eyesight or use of glasses et al). Again, bigger displays can allow larger text on-screen, but may also cause you to be moving your neck left-and-right, and/or your eyeballs left and right... enough to cause strains and head aches. >>>>> 2ND Question here is reliability of Apple computers. As an Experienced Tech, i recommend you do "extensive" Research before choosing any particular Model; especially an old Mac mini (old Disks, paired with new Sierra or High Sierra macOS, are asking for trouble). [There have been 'rumors' of Apple releasing a new design Mac mini, but nothing solid yet...] And remember that each machine has it's own internal GraphicsAdapter/GPU, which 'should' be paired with a Display that has the same Native Resolution. [***Hmmm... i am having a vision of a large display that lowers from the ceiling on 2 wire cables... and you close your Roll-Top when you wish. Good luck getting the AppleCare youngsters to set that up for you!***]

iMac on This Roll Top Desk?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.