Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i know if my iphone had an owner before?

a week ago i got my ”new” iphone from my comunication servidor here in Peru called Movistar, they supposed to send me a new iphone 7 plus, but when i opened the box and tried to turn on the iphones it wasnt charged, I used to had iphones before and I know that the new ones always come with a little bit of battery, but this one didnt. when i was takibg out that plastic around the phone i realized that it had 2 scratches on the screen, this comunication company remain telling me that is a new one but I’m sure that is not. How can I proove that is a used one!?

Posted on Jul 7, 2018 10:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2018 12:43 PM

I would start by submitting the serial number at Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support and see if the dates are correct for supply to you. Finding a date earlier than you received your phone is an indication it is not new.

However, it does not matter because the device supplied was damaged before you received it, so you should reject it and demand an undamaged replacement.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2018 12:43 PM in response to Vane8i8

I would start by submitting the serial number at Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support and see if the dates are correct for supply to you. Finding a date earlier than you received your phone is an indication it is not new.

However, it does not matter because the device supplied was damaged before you received it, so you should reject it and demand an undamaged replacement.

Jul 7, 2018 11:46 AM in response to Vane8i8

The lack of battery does not mean its not new.

Unless it cannot be charged, the lack if battery just means it may have been sitting in your carrier's wearhouse for a long time and the battery eventually drained.

Yes, normally iPhones have some battery when taken out of the box, but its not completely unheard off to get iPhones without any charge.

There's no way to prove it has been used, and no reason to think it has been used. Again lack of battery does not mean its used.

The scratches on the screen may indicate a refurbished device. Unless you can prove the scratches were made before it was taken out of the box, the carrier may not want to replace it.

You can take it to an Apple Store, and see what they say.

How can i know if my iphone had an owner before?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.