Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't imessage Android users

I see, from looking at posts, that the problem of using imessage on my iPhone goes back at least six years. Is there no solution yet that works so that I can send messages from my iPhone to my Android friends? Why has there been no resolution if this issue is at least six years old?

Posted on Jul 8, 2018 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2018 1:09 PM

Hi Jerry.

I would really like to help you with your problem, but before I can do that you may want to answer some of questions of mine.

First of, what do you mean with "You can't iMessage Android users"? Because if you are talking about sending iMessages, if I might call them that, to Android devices, you won't have any luck doing so, because you can only send them to other iPhones, iPods and iPads. However, you can send SMS and MMS to basically any other phone that you want to.

MY second question is, where you have read what? Because I for my part have definitely not heard about any problems regarding that topic ever before. Mostly because I don't really see the problem, but you know what I mean. Feel free to hook me up with an article or two so I can dig into it myself a little.

Until then, you may be helped with this handy article about iMessage and what it can and can't do:

Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Apple Support

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 8, 2018 1:09 PM in response to Jerry Montgomery

Hi Jerry.

I would really like to help you with your problem, but before I can do that you may want to answer some of questions of mine.

First of, what do you mean with "You can't iMessage Android users"? Because if you are talking about sending iMessages, if I might call them that, to Android devices, you won't have any luck doing so, because you can only send them to other iPhones, iPods and iPads. However, you can send SMS and MMS to basically any other phone that you want to.

MY second question is, where you have read what? Because I for my part have definitely not heard about any problems regarding that topic ever before. Mostly because I don't really see the problem, but you know what I mean. Feel free to hook me up with an article or two so I can dig into it myself a little.

Until then, you may be helped with this handy article about iMessage and what it can and can't do:

Messages for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and Mac - Apple Support

Jul 8, 2018 1:12 PM in response to Mr. Unko

I have just read questions/answers by other readers with the same problem and assumed from those that I cannot send to an Android. However, I did read the help section on the Apple website, tried what it told me, and had no luck even after that. I have the SMS and MMS slides clicked to on. All that said, I live in the country, using Verizon, and my coverage is not good here. But I don't have a problem sending to other iPhone users. Did I answer your questions?

Jul 8, 2018 1:18 PM in response to Jerry Montgomery

Yes, yes you did Jerry. Thank you very much for your rather quick cooperation. However, I have seen that your problem has (somewhat) been resolved, so I assume that you don't need any further assistance with it.

I really hope that you get used to iMessage and don't consider switching phones just because of it. At the end of the day, imagine how many messages you wouldn't be able to send without it.

With the very best regards,

Mr. Unko.

Jul 8, 2018 2:19 PM in response to Jerry Montgomery

Jerry Montgomery wrote:

It's only been resolved because there is only one answer: I cannot text from my phone to theirs. Thank you for your replies and your attempts to help. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

Yes, you can message from iPhones to Android phones. I do it every day. If, for some reason you can't, you need to, as kb1951 suggests, contact your carrier.

Jul 8, 2018 2:45 PM in response to Jerry Montgomery

Jerry Montgomery wrote:

It's only been resolved because there is only one answer: I cannot text from my phone to theirs. Thank you for your replies and your attempts to help. I thought maybe I was doing something wrong.

You mean the texts that I send almost daily from my iPhone to my daughter’s android aren’t delivered, even though she responds to them? How mysterious!

Snark aside, you ARE doing something wrong. Do you have cellular data on? MMS requires cellular data; it won’t work over WiFi. And SMS requires a cellular voice connection; it also won’t work over WiFi. Can you make voice calls? If you still have a problem contact your carrier, as your account is not provisioned correctly.

Jul 8, 2018 3:30 PM in response to Jerry Montgomery

I live in a river drainage area south of the town I live 12 miles from; thus, my cell use at my home is limited. There is not a Verizon tower near. I do not often send messages, and I certainly can't make many calls from my home. At any rate, I'll pose these questions to Verizon. Thank you all for your suggestions and comments.

Can't imessage Android users

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.