Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't upgrade from Lion to HighSierra

Recently I had to reformat my laptop so that I can use it again. It's a mid-2012 Macbook Pro, 2.5GHz processor speed(although I don't think it's important) and now running its original software, OS X 10.8.5.

I inherited it from someone else so clearing it seemed like the logical thing to do. However, I can't upgrade the software. I know that an update is needed but when I go to the App Store, there are No Updates Available. However, I can see the upgrade to HighSierra banner in the background. After clicking the 'Free Upgrade' button, this dialog box appears.

User uploaded file

I entered my new Apple ID and password(which has up-to-date billing and shipping information), then this box appears.

User uploaded file

After clicking the Review button, another dialog box appears:

User uploaded file

Now after clicking the Learn More button, I'm taken to this page: macOS - How to Upgrade - Apple

All this page tells me is why I need to upgrade to HighSierra, which brings me to the beginning again. Any help would be appreciated!

I've refreshed the page on the App Store multiple times, restarted the computer, double check my account and shipping information, I just don't know what to do!

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Jul 9, 2018 3:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2018 5:56 AM

I know that the software is OS X 10.8.5, and the issue is that the App Store will not let me upgrade to HighSierra. It's sort of an infinite loop here. It says I need to sign in with my AppleID in order to upgrade to HighSierra, but I can't sign in unless I upgrade to HighSierra

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 9, 2018 4:33 AM in response to midnight_star

This is an interesting MacBook Pro because it was released in June 2012 and discontinued in Oct. 2012. If it is a Retina version then it too was introduced in June 2012 and was discontinued in Feb. 2013. Depending on its purchase date in these windows, it either shipped with OS X Lion, or quite possibly, later builds received OS X Mountain Lion.

The real answer to what originally shipped on that machine will be the result of an Internet Recovery (option+command+R) on boot. Whatever OS X version it shipped with will be installed, and it will be either OS X 10.7.5, or OS X 10.8.5.

If you did not download Mountain Lion from the Mac App Store during its year of availability, or purchase a $20USD license key from the Mac App Store, then you have a copy of Mountain Lion tied to another Apple ID, and you won't be able to upgrade to High Sierra. Do paragraph 2.

If the result of paragraph 2 is OS X 10.7.5, then you can direct download OS X El Capitan (10.11.6) from the Mac App Store and install that. Check software update to ensure that there are no pending Security updates waiting for El Capitan. Once El Capitan is completely updated, then you can upgrade to High Sierra.

If the result of paragraph 2 is OS X 10.8.5, then you should be able to upgrade directly to High Sierra from its Mac App Store page.

Can't upgrade from Lion to HighSierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.