Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Board Malfunction - 2 yrs old MacBook Air 2013

I'm very disappointed with my Mac Book Air 13" early 2015 model. I bought my unit October of 2015. It was suffering from random shutdown so I had it diagnosed today and they found out that the logic board is broken. There was a corrosion in one of the capacitors. I don't understand how it can be broken by just being used for 2.5 years. It has never been dented, dropped, spilled with any liquid. It was handled with care, and used only for a short while. In fact, the cycle count is merely 200 before it stopped working. I was advised that replacing the logic board would cost me more than half of a brand new Mac Book Air. It's a really big disappointment! What should I do with my MacBook Air, should I just get a new logic board since I'm out of warranty? What is my cheapest option?

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), iOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 9, 2018 8:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 9, 2018 7:24 PM

Unfortunately, any electronic part can and will fail - some sooner, some later. So, this was/is bad luck for you. If there was corrosion, it could have been something as minor as high humidity in your home/surroundings. I would probably not spend that much for something without a warranty - you might consider getting a refurb unit from Apple online store (if available in your location); you can save and get the same warranty as a new one. Or, you can try taking it to an authorized repair shop and see if they would be cheaper.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 9, 2018 7:24 PM in response to DisappointedfromManila

Unfortunately, any electronic part can and will fail - some sooner, some later. So, this was/is bad luck for you. If there was corrosion, it could have been something as minor as high humidity in your home/surroundings. I would probably not spend that much for something without a warranty - you might consider getting a refurb unit from Apple online store (if available in your location); you can save and get the same warranty as a new one. Or, you can try taking it to an authorized repair shop and see if they would be cheaper.

Logic Board Malfunction - 2 yrs old MacBook Air 2013

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.