Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri homepod cannot control lights, while siri on my phone can?

Just got a homepod set. I've had a 2nd Gen Hue bridge setup an devices in HomeKit.

Everything including homepod shows up in homekit as well.

on my phone, "hey siri... turn on the lights" - works like a charm.

on my homepod, "hey siri... turn on the ligths" - "looks like you don't any devices in homekit setup..."

Please help.

HomePod, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Jul 9, 2018 8:19 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Jul 11, 2018 2:22 PM in response to tyfire6

Good afternoon tyfire6,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

Congratulations on the purchase of your HomePod. By "set" do you mean you purchased two? I understand you want to know how to set up your HomePod to control your HomeKit accessories. The resources below will explain how to set up and use your HomePod and use it for HomeKit. I've highlighted some key information here for you. Click on the link for complete details.

Set up and use HomePod

Change settings for HomePod​

HomePod User Guide - Control your home​

Automate and remotely access your HomeKit accessories​

Set up your home hub

You can set up your HomePod, Apple TV 4K, Apple TV (4th generation), or iPad as a home hub to automate and remotely control your HomeKit accessories from your iOS device. The device that you set up as a home hub must remain in your home, connected to your home Wi-Fi network, and powered on.

Set up HomePod as a home hub

HomePod automatically sets itself up as a home hub so you can control your HomeKit accessories remotely with the Home app and use automations. Just make sure that the iOS device you use to set up HomePod is signed in to iCloud with the Apple ID that you used to set up your HomeKit accessories in the Home app.

Get help with your home hub

If you have issues creating automations or controlling your HomeKit accessories when you're not home, follow these steps:

1. Make sure that your HomePod, Apple TV, or iPad is:
  2. Make sure that you can control your accessories in the Home app on your iOS device. Open the Home app and turn on a light or change the temperature.
  3. Make sure that your device is set up as a home hub:
    • For HomePod, open the Home app on your iOS device, tap User uploaded file, then check under Home Hubs to see if HomePod is connected.
    • On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud and make sure that your Apple TV shows HomeKit as Connected. If you don’t see HomeKit, then your Apple TV isn't connected as a home hub.
    • On your iPad, go to Settings > Home and make sure that Use this iPad as a Home Hub is turned on.
  4. Restart your Apple TV, iPad, and iPhone.
  5. Wait a few minutes. If you still need help, sign out of iCloud on your Apple TV, then sign back in. Go to Settings > Accounts > iCloud.

How "Hey Siri" works with multiple devices​

Take care.

Jul 19, 2018 9:42 AM in response to tyfire6

Upgrading to 11.4.1 firmware did not solve this problem for me. Can anyone from Apple help? This feels like a bug, not a setup error, I've seen a similar question posted this week. I have reinstalled and restarted all my hubs, homepods, etc. All my firmware is up-to-date, still have the issue. Again, the philips hue lights and bridge all work within the Hue app, they also show in my HomeKit app on my iphone/ipad, I CAN control the philips Hue lights from my HomeKit app by pressing the buttons manually, I can also control the Philips Hue lights via Siri on my iPhone/iPad, but I CANNOT control them via Siri from my Homepod. My Homepod IS setup correctly and can control other smart home devices I have installed, JUST NOT the Philips Hue light bulbs. I have an Apple Airport Extreme as my router, if that information helps as well.

Aug 2, 2018 4:57 PM in response to tyfire6

I had the same issue and what I noticed was that my iPhone and iPad couldn’t sync regarding the home app. I disconnected the HomePod that was set up with the iPhone back then, and set up again, this time with the iPad. Just like that, everything went back to normal, the devices are synched in the home app and all the HomeKit devices, including HUE lamps, are reporting for duty.

—>

Aug 18, 2018 1:55 PM in response to mattfay08

I believe I figured it out. Most of the newer WiFi routers have this feature called bandwidth steering. It switches between 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz which ever is best when you are connected. 2.4 GHz good for long distances but slower speeds compared to 5 GHz which is best for speed but not distance. I learned that the philips hue bridge can only connect to 2.4 GHz. So HomePod also needs to be on a 2.4 GHz connection. All you got to do now is split up your routers bandwidth to 2.4 GHz and 5GHz. Search how to do this for your router. Then reset your HomePod. When repairing with your HomePod make sure your iPhone is connected to the WiFi 2.4 GHz as this will be the connection your HomePod will memorize. Give it a minute or two for your HomePod to download all your settings and info and then boom! You’ll be able to control your hue lights with your HomePod.

Aug 22, 2018 8:53 AM in response to Brett.Lodge

Update: Yeah my suggestion to change to duel broadband only worked for a few days. I unplugged my HomePod and it started working again but I think it’s only a matter of time before I get the “your device is not connected” from Siri. I do think you’re right. There needs to be an update to get these assesories to communicate more consistently.

Siri homepod cannot control lights, while siri on my phone can?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.