Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS X 10.13.6 Full Installer?

Looks like apple hasn't updated the App Store to show 10.13.6? Its still showing 10.13.5 as the most current version? I need to download the full installer of high Sierra and it keeps downloading the stupid stub file not the full.

Posted on Jul 10, 2018 2:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2018 5:12 PM

According to this article, http://www.iclarified.com/62748/how-to-make-a-bootable-macos-high-sierra-usb-ins tall-key,

the stub installer only happens with those not running the current version already.

I am, but I get the stub, too, so maybe it has something to do with it not reporting the correct version.

I got a warning when downloading, but when I started the install, it didn't stop be from installing over 10.13.6, so I would imagine it was 10.13.6, but something in the download process from the App Store recognized that something didn't match in the versions.

You may have to wait until everything is updated on the App Store.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2018 5:12 PM in response to Barney-15E

According to this article, http://www.iclarified.com/62748/how-to-make-a-bootable-macos-high-sierra-usb-ins tall-key,

the stub installer only happens with those not running the current version already.

I am, but I get the stub, too, so maybe it has something to do with it not reporting the correct version.

I got a warning when downloading, but when I started the install, it didn't stop be from installing over 10.13.6, so I would imagine it was 10.13.6, but something in the download process from the App Store recognized that something didn't match in the versions.

You may have to wait until everything is updated on the App Store.

Jul 10, 2018 2:52 PM in response to Hailstorm

I've heard there's a new distribution method although I haven't run into it myself. It does download a "stub" as you call it but if you double-click to install it should then download the full installer. I'm not sure why Apple would do this and it does seem counter-intuitive but that may be what you've run up against. It would seem especially unproductive when creating a bootable installer.

Jul 10, 2018 9:28 PM in response to Hailstorm

Seems like I'm one of the few that fully understands your question. I keep checking to see if they've updated the MAS, and when I saw tonight that they still hadn't yet, I started googling to see if there were any explanations out there, and that's how I found your post.

I hope they update it soon too, as I do Mac support for a living, and having a bootable USB installer for installation on new SSDs is essential!

Cheers!

John

Jul 10, 2018 9:45 PM in response to Hailstorm

It's puzzling that they haven't updated that yet, as it's obviously how tens of thousands of people still take the leap to High Sierra from anything older. I helped a client update just today as well (she was still running Yosemite!), and we just ran the installer that was in her Applications folder, which I think was only 10.13.3 or something, so she'll have to go through the additional hassle of updating to .6

Really seems odd to me...

Later,

John

Mac OS X 10.13.6 Full Installer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.