You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Windows 10 64-bit Cannot Download iTunes 12.8 - Solved

With the latest (for me at this time) iTunes, Apple appears to have discontinued the ability to download the iTunes64Setup.exe utility, if your machine is Windows 10 64-bit (x64). It now appears to be restricted to the Microsoft Store App iTunes.

Unfortunately for me, my developer machine has been unable to get iTunes to update itself with a new version of iTunes for quite some time now (at least, since 12.0). I have to do a complete uninstall, then reinstall of iTunes, to get the new version going.

My attempts to get the iTunes App from Microsoft Store to work, have proved to be unsuccessful, to wit: the App will install and recognize my music, but is unable to install the appropriate iPhone driver. It attempts to do so with a message "the driver required for this iphone is not installed" and begins downloading something that it cannot install, despite many unsuccessful attempt to do so. This includes reboots and "Run As Administrator".

However, lucky me, I discovered on my own, how to fool the Apple website to download the latest iTunes64Setup.exe (probably used by Windows 7 SP1 x64 users), by using the hacked-together URL: https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/win64/. I hope Apple does not close this loophole, or if it does then restore the ability of Windows 10 machines to get the EXE and skip Microsoft Store altogether. For those in a similar situation, I hope this URL helps you out too.

iPhone 6, Windows 10

Posted on Jul 11, 2018 5:51 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 11, 2018 10:36 PM in response to andyross

Hmmm. The screen is sensitive to the client running it. For Chrome (my favorite Windows browser), running on Windows 10, clicking the choice under Looking for Other Versions merely toggles the display, which goes back-and-forth from either Windows Store or Windows, and doesn't take me anywhere. After playing around with it some more, I find that toggling the display this way does change the behavior of the link at the top, but is often hidden because it is so high on the screen that it usually is "off page" (not visible) thus this other behavior is far from obvious.

When the displayed choice is Windows Store, the download link button at the top of the page, is changed to display the action Download now (64-bit), which does indeed download the EXE installer.

Windows 10 64-bit Cannot Download iTunes 12.8 - Solved

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.