Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display slow to wake after High Sierra10.13.6 update

I can hear the boot drive (HDD) spin-up immediately when I click the mouse or tap the escape key on the keyboard but the display takes about 10 seconds to wake.

Default sleep mode setting - "hibernatemode 0"

What I did:

-Unchecked "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" which did not clear the issue.

-Reset SMC which did not clear the issue.

-Reset PRAM/NVRAM which did not clear the issue.

Mac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Mac Pro 5,1 Intel Xeon 2.66Ghz

Posted on Jul 12, 2018 11:15 AM

15 replies

Jul 13, 2018 6:17 PM in response to jeffstorm

I'm on a Mac Mini Late 2012 with similar issues. Didn't happen before the update, now I can hear my audio "pop" back on, all external lights for USB devices come on, but it takes forever for the display (HDMI) to kick back on. Anywhere from 5 seconds to 12 seconds since the update.

My Mac has some upgrades, including internal SSD and second HDD, but booted pretty good prior to this update.

Jul 25, 2018 1:01 PM in response to jeffstorm

Thanks for update, that's very helpful. I just wish Apple would test updates properly before releasing them. There are always seemingly obvious glitches that simple use shows up, and yet are not spotted before release. If you took a vehicle to a garage for a tune-up you would not be very happy if it came back with problems each time because, the garage would go broke by reputation, and yet Apple have us all hooked.

Jul 25, 2018 1:41 PM in response to martin from

As much as I would like to have an immediate fix for this I would not compare auto-repair problems to software glitches. Auto repair is on a case by case basis. Software updates are issued to millions of machines with different hardware and software configurations of varying age. For example: You wouldn't flash a '96 Honda Civic's ECU/ECM with a 2018 Chevy Camaro SS firmware. It may sound like it would be a performance enhancement but in reality it would render the Civic useless. 😉

Display slow to wake after High Sierra10.13.6 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.