Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting a Numbers table to continue onto subsequent pages in Pages Layout

I copied a table from Numbers into the Pages Layout file, which should flow over several pages with the table header repeating on each page...but the table is blank after the first page. How do I get the table to continue in its entirety? Thanks for any help!

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jul 12, 2018 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2018 4:11 AM

Hi KC,

Try this with a word processing document.

Paste the table and while it is selected, Format Panel > Arrange > Move with Text

Here is Page 1:

User uploaded file

Here is the bottom of Page 1 and the top of Page 2:

User uploaded file

Regards,

Ian.

7 replies

Jul 12, 2018 5:31 PM in response to KC317

Hi KC,

Numbers does not have "pages" except when you are preparing to print or are actually printing.

It's at that point that page divisions are determined and copies of the header rows (and header columns(?)) are reproduced on each now-defined "Page".

User uploaded file

Pages does not permit pasted tables in a Page Layout document (or in a Word Processing document) to cross page boundaries. The table, set to Float on Page, is confined to the page containing its upper left corner.

The table shown below is the one above, created in Numbers, then copied and pasted into a Pages word processing document whose only 'text' content was a series of Page breaks, needed to create pages after the first.

The table was pasted on Page 1, then dragged down and left to place the top left corner on Page 2.

As can be seen in the thumbnails to the left of the document space, the table is visible only on the page holding ots top left corner. Note that the whole table is contained in the document (you can see the row reference tabs for the first 60 rows or so of the selected table continuing down the space between the page and the thumbnails).

User uploaded file

To create a Pages document displaying the full table, you could:

• construct the table in Numbers.
  • create a 'custom paper size' with dimensions equal to the 'print area' on the Pages document page you want to print to.
  • scale the Numbers table to fit the width of that 'custom paper size' page with no margins.
  • "Print" the Numbers document to a pdf file displayed in Preview.
  • Copy the individual pages of the pdf file and paste into an empty Pages page layout document, setting each to Stay on Page, and aligning the top edge of each image to the top margin of the page, but leaving the left edge of the image about a centimetre to the right of the left margin of the page.
  • With all 'pages' pasted into the document, select one image and drag it left to touch the left margin.
  • Select all of the page images, then go Arrange (menu) > Align objects > Left.

The result is a Pages document, containing only images of the pieces of the table set on several pages. As these are images, they cannot be edited as a regular table would be.

Regards,

Barry

Jul 12, 2018 5:48 PM in response to Barry

Thank you for your reply. I figured that someone was going to tell me that a Numbers table wouldn't flow from page to page, but I was hoping to hear the opposite. I guess that I'll resort to creating a separate table on each page and split the information on the original table accordingly so that I can edit directly into the Pages Layout file. Again, thank you!

Jul 12, 2018 6:59 PM in response to KC317

You can't make Tables inline in Textboxes in Pages 7 which I assume you are using. The data can be linked however between Tables, one of the very few improvements in Pages 7 as opposed to all the lost features.

Word Processing layouts provide much more flexibility.

The "choice" in a Layout document, like the "simplified" UI is an illusion, it is actually just an absence of choice.

You can do everything you can do in a Layout document in a WP document whilst getting bookmarking, ToC, textflow and many more features impossible in Layout.

I also use Pages '09 which is much more productive, accurate and has way more features even than Pages 7.

Layout is for people who don't understand DTP or how to do typographic layout or how Pages actually works.

Getting a Numbers table to continue onto subsequent pages in Pages Layout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.