Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot camp MacBook Pro 2018

When trying to use boot camp on latest MacBook Pro 2018 the windows support software cannot be downloaded with the message “currently not available from software update server”. I cant seem to find any info from Apple about this new model not yet being supported.

MacBook Pro, iOS 11.4.1, Bootcamp

Posted on Jul 15, 2018 3:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2018 6:46 AM

In the past there have been times when the bootcamp drivers were not ready when the computer shipped. Im in the same boat so I think its just a matter of waiting on Apple. Can not install the MacOS beta either.

Similar questions

21 replies

Aug 13, 2018 11:23 PM in response to theof92

After spending the better part of an evening trying to get Boot Camp Assistant to install Windows 10 from an Image I downloaded from My Visual Studio (formerly MSDN). I've been able to get Windows 10 installed using the following method:

1. Download Parallels 13 trial
  2. Select Windows 10 installation (a Windows 10 ISO that is 4.4GB will be downloaded to your downloads)
  3. Run Boot Camp Assistant and use this 4.4GB Windows 10 ISO

The previous ISO I was using from My Visual Studio was 5.02GB, and I'm suspect that the additional space + Boot Camp Drivers that get downloaded may have been too big for the 8GB partition that Boot Camp Assistant creates, hence the error 'failed to copy files'. FYI this previous ISO installs just fine with Parallels, so it wasn't the ISO.

Apple Chat Support noted the issue, one rep said that they've had 5 requests for this in the past few days. They mentioned that there is an internal article about this limitation and that it is scheduled to be fixed with no definitive date. When I mentioned my work around to one of the chat support reps they basically referred to the internal article and said that it wasn't supported on 2018 MBP.

Right now I'm looking to test the new 2018 MBP with Boot Camp as it was either this or a Surface Book Pro 2...not willing to drop nearly $6k on a system that doesn't work, especially with some of the idiosyncrasies that I experienced with my 2013 MBP with Boot Camp.

Hope this helps some of you, and remember your mileage may vary.

Jul 17, 2018 6:51 PM in response to di11ard

Thank you for reaching out to them. I know they did not give you a definitive time but do you think it is likely a problem that will be fixed in days or more like weeks? I need to run windows programs for work/grad school so I'm scrambling a bit to figure out a solution as I did not know this was a problem buying the computer. Thanks again!

Jul 17, 2018 11:20 PM in response to theof92

Sorry but this is unacceptable. I sold my 2017 on Friday after finally waiting for a revised 13" with quad-core processing and a fixed keyboard. Took a loss but fine, it was my decision. Bought a 2018 over the weekend. Attempted to setup Boot Camp on Sunday but nope, not available. My company uses applications that only work on Windows, although my other business runs on OSX and I own several Apple products. I now have no way to access my primary work applications and after chatting with Apple, I'm told yeah sorry, check every few days.

No warning, no disclaimer. Just sorry AFTER the purchase. I know it's only been a few days but what p***** me off is the fact nobody can share when Boot Camp will be available. I can look past the trash keyboard, the overpriced hardware, outdated technology, but when you block my ability to work from a PRO machine that cost over $2000, it's a bit frustrating.

Sorry y'all, had to rant...

Jul 18, 2018 1:23 AM in response to jr2277

If it is an absolute emergency you could use the parallels free trial of 14 days. I hope the drivers will be available by then. I can’t provide any info on how vm windows 10 performs on 8gb ram though as I haven’t tried it yet. To be honest I waited too long for a quad core 13” macbook but I would have waited a bit more for customized ones to ship with 16 fab ram, had I known about the boot camp issue.

Jul 18, 2018 12:31 PM in response to jr2277

I'm ready to some complaining myself. I wasted about 8 hours on Sunday trying to install Windows 10 with Boot Camp Assistant on a new 2018 Macbook Pro. I chatted online with AppleCare, I talked to someone on the phone from AppleCare, and then ended up going into the Apple store when I found I was unable to do a recovery of the OS. I thought possibly migrating my previous data from a TimeMachine backup was contributing to the problem. Anyhow, the poor young lady I worked with at the store bricked my machine. The new architecture prevents you from being able to recover the OS unless there's an admin account on it. She formatted the drive, which prevented re-installation. Then they gave me a new laptop, which turned out to be the wrong model (2017). So now I'm on my third laptop in six days and I still can't install Windows 10. I'm not impressed. If I can't get it installed before the return period I think this thing is going back.

Jul 18, 2018 2:15 PM in response to nednerb1

It would have been major news if support was dropped from this model and on. Also if they actually did that without alerting anyone you have every right to return the item. As for the tech support reply the boot camp software is also accessible in windows so probably whoever you spoke with didn’t understand the question.

Aug 14, 2018 4:39 AM in response to mheld79

MSDN ISOs with multiple version of Windows on it do not work properly under BC Assistant. You should use single-edition Retail ISO from Microsoft's Software Download page. T

ypically, the English ISO file name is Win10_nnnn_English_x64.ISO. Wireless downloads of these ISOs are notoriously failure-prone and Microsoft does not provide any proper verification of these ISOs using SHA1 or MD5.

Boot camp MacBook Pro 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.