Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone screen goes black when camera is covered

I have an iPhone 6S+ updated to iOS 10.2.1 and for the past couple of days I noticed that whenever the camera above the screen gets covered, the screen goes black and once it's not, the screen goes back to whatever it was on. This never happened before so I tried looking through the settings to see if it was an option to turn on or off but I couldn't find anything. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 11:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2018 3:58 AM

It sounds like your proximity sensor (above the earpiece) is not working properly.

The correct behavior: the screen must go black ONLY during phone calls. If it turns black when you cover the top of your device AND you're not on a phone call, something is wrong.

Yes, many times a forced restart of the device can help.

But if the issue still persists, have your iP6s+ inspected at your most convenient Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider. Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Regards

Giulio

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2018 3:58 AM in response to jpvosloo

It sounds like your proximity sensor (above the earpiece) is not working properly.

The correct behavior: the screen must go black ONLY during phone calls. If it turns black when you cover the top of your device AND you're not on a phone call, something is wrong.

Yes, many times a forced restart of the device can help.

But if the issue still persists, have your iP6s+ inspected at your most convenient Apple Store or Authorized Service Provider. Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Regards

Giulio

Jul 16, 2018 11:30 PM in response to jpvosloo

As discussed in the link below, try to restart your phone by holding the power and home buttons until you see the Apple boot-up screen.

Phone screen will turn off whenever I cover camera, and turn back on when uncovered. How do I fix this? : iphone

This is the same question as below that wasn't clearly answered there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.