Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to create a shortcut from itunes to my desktop screen

Windows 10. I updated iTunes, and now the desktop shortcut is gone. I tried creating a new one, but I cannot find iTunes.exe anywhere on any drive. Is this missing shortcut a new "feature?" Version 12.8.0.150

iPhone X, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Jul 17, 2018 7:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 2:22 PM

Normally iTunes.exe is in C:\Program Files\iTunes

It's not there. I dont know if it ever was.

Then iTunes will not run on your computer.

Perhaps the search has misled you: if you search for itunes.exe, the search results may not actually indicate the exe extension.

Here's my search (on Windows 7). tt2 can probably tell you if there are specific differences with Windows 10 (with which I'm not familiar yet):

User uploaded file

1. Search
  2. type in itunes.exe
  3. search results. Note that the one I have highlighted does not state "exe".
  4. right-click/properties displays this panel
  5. note the file type: (exe)

In step 4. above, the right-click menu also has Send to on it.

User uploaded file

1. right-click itunes.exe
  2. Send to
  3. Desktop (create shortcut)

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2018 2:22 PM in response to eds911

Then iTunes will not run on your computer.

Perhaps the search has misled you: if you search for itunes.exe, the search results may not actually indicate the exe extension.

Here's my search (on Windows 7). tt2 can probably tell you if there are specific differences with Windows 10 (with which I'm not familiar yet):

User uploaded file

1. Search
  2. type in itunes.exe
  3. search results. Note that the one I have highlighted does not state "exe".
  4. right-click/properties displays this panel
  5. note the file type: (exe)

In step 4. above, the right-click menu also has Send to on it.

User uploaded file

1. right-click itunes.exe
  2. Send to
  3. Desktop (create shortcut)

Jul 19, 2018 3:03 PM in response to the fiend

iTunes runs fine on my PC. I did anorher search, and found two zero-byte itunes.exe items. One was in:

C:\Users\ed\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\Appl

...and the other was in:

C:\Users\ed\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AppleInc.iTunes_nzyj5cx40ttqa

I thought, how can a zero-byte executable even run? But I clicked them and they both invoked the iTunes app! So I went ahead and created the desktop icon with Send To. But it was a dopey icon, not the musical symbol one, so I downloaded it from and icon site, and changed the icon graphic.

I had already reinstalled twice, but somehow this "install" was way different from the iTunes I though I knew all these years. Must be a new "feature."

Thanks for your help.

Jul 17, 2018 7:35 AM in response to eds911

You can also get a desktop shortcut by opening the Start Menu, scrolling down the app list until you reach the iTunes Folder, open it, then right click on the iTunes shortcut there, then on More, and then on Open File Location.

This will open the location of the shortcut in Windows Explorer, you can then drag the shortcut to the desktop while holding the control key to copy it there.

Jul 19, 2018 12:26 PM in response to Phil0124

You can also get a desktop shortcut by opening the Start Menu, scrolling down the app list until you reach the iTunes Folder, open it, then right click on the iTunes shortcut there, then on More, and then on Open File Location.

There is no iTunes shortcut there.

This will open the location of the shortcut in Windows Explorer, you can then drag the shortcut to the desktop while holding the control key to copy it there.

I can see the iTunes tile in the start menu tiles. But I get a circle with a backslash in it when I try to crtl-drag it to the desktop.

how to create a shortcut from itunes to my desktop screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.