Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setup new Airport Time Capsule to replace old

Moving to newer Airport Time Capsule(802.11ac) from older Airport time capsule (802.11n 4th generation).

How do I the move to a new time capsule in my wireless network without loosing my settings?

I want to transfer the settings on the old unit, like MAC addresses and such to the new.

What are the current Apple recommendations for security settings for am "Apple" network?

The network is extended.

Does using an older Apple extreme (802.11n 1st generation) to extend the network pose a security risk?

Speed on this part of the network not an issue.

Thanks for your thoughts and help.

iMac with Retina 5K display

Posted on Jul 17, 2018 9:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 5:33 AM

What are the current Apple recommendations for security settings for am "Apple" network?

Use WPA2 Personal wireless security. A longer, rather than shorter password will provide a bit more security, but devices may take a bit longer to connect to the network initially. Use a random mix of letters and numbers for the password.

More info here.......Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

Does using an older Apple extreme (802.11n 1st generation) to extend the network pose a security risk?

No, if you have updated the Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme to use the current version of 7.6.9 firmware.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2018 5:33 AM in response to macuser.325

Use WPA2 Personal wireless security. A longer, rather than shorter password will provide a bit more security, but devices may take a bit longer to connect to the network initially. Use a random mix of letters and numbers for the password.

More info here.......Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points - Apple Support

No, if you have updated the Time Capsule and AirPort Extreme to use the current version of 7.6.9 firmware.

Jul 19, 2018 5:30 AM in response to macuser.325

Installing a new TC to replace the old one I recommend these steps.

1. Export the current configuration.

In the airport utility click the Old TC.. click edit on the summary that pops up.

Go to the top menu and export.

User uploaded file

2. Now plug the new TC into the old TC by ethernet.

Click on Other Wi-Fi Devices (1) and the new TC which will start the setup wizard.

User uploaded file

3. When you hit the first screen change it to Other Options in bottom left corner.

User uploaded file

4. Select replace an existing device.. next.

User uploaded file

5. Choose the airport you are replacing.

User uploaded file

Everything that can be converted will be.. however some things like MAC addresses.. maybe.. maybe not..

That is why you saved the original. The old TC will also be reset to factory.. and you can now replace the Old TC with New TC.

Setup new Airport Time Capsule to replace old

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.