Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Profile Manager not showing any VPP Apps

Running the latest version of OSX and Server app. Using the Profile Manager as our MDM for iPads. Apple School Manager and Volume Purchase Program have been set up in Profile Manager. Keys/Token have been downloaded/applied. Active Directory has been bound/unbound/rebound. Apple Configurator 2 seems to work fine. Have switched our VPP (educational) program from code redemptions to per device redemption.

Only thing that doesn't seem to work is that I can't seem to access a list of our available licenses from the 'Apps' menu item in the profile manager, nor do any apps appear when I select a device and choose to add or push apps to it.

The apple.school.com portal shows me all the apps/licenses without issue. Seems I'm missing something in Profile Manager to get it to pull that info, some permission/user account somewhere?

The Apps page in Profile Manager is showing me the generic splash page with the two buttons for links to either add enterprise apps or to take me to the volume purchasing web portal (portal works and shows all apps once logged in with the purchasing account instead of the administrative MDM account).

What am I missing?? devicemgrd.log seems to be relatively happy, or at least not complaining about anything as far as I can tell? Do I need to redo the Open Directory server entry in Server after doing an unbind/rebind of AD?

TIA
Andy

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), null

Posted on Jul 18, 2018 8:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 3:33 PM

Spent a good hour with an elevated tech at Apple Enterprise and we got it working. Had something to do with the system being tied to Active Directory and that interfering somehow with the initial syncing of apps into Profile Manager. We removed AD tie ins from the system as well as profile manager, then also went to ProfileManager/DeploymentPrograms-AppleSchoolManager-Configure/Accounts and toggled off/on the Local Directory item. Apps started appearing within seconds of doing that last step, not sure if that was coincidence though.

Afterwards we readded the Active Directory tie-ins and everything continued to work. I was able to purchase and app through the VPP, have it show up in Apple School Manager, a few minutes later in Profile Manager, and then was able to push it to an iPad.

Happy camper.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2018 3:33 PM in response to AndyReRe

Spent a good hour with an elevated tech at Apple Enterprise and we got it working. Had something to do with the system being tied to Active Directory and that interfering somehow with the initial syncing of apps into Profile Manager. We removed AD tie ins from the system as well as profile manager, then also went to ProfileManager/DeploymentPrograms-AppleSchoolManager-Configure/Accounts and toggled off/on the Local Directory item. Apps started appearing within seconds of doing that last step, not sure if that was coincidence though.

Afterwards we readded the Active Directory tie-ins and everything continued to work. I was able to purchase and app through the VPP, have it show up in Apple School Manager, a few minutes later in Profile Manager, and then was able to push it to an iPad.

Happy camper.

Jul 19, 2018 7:38 AM in response to Tearjerker

Thanks, but no luck 😟 I'm going to give Apple Enterprise a call and see if they can think of/know something and update this post.

As for the managed licenses...unused purchased code redemption licenses were converted to managed ones, and in theory should show up as being available to distribute. The issue is more that it doesn't even get that far, as if it can't tell that its even IN the VPP program itself already.

Profile Manager not showing any VPP Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.