Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

creating different text window size for letterhead template?

I have looked high and low and losing even more hair as I try to create a letterhead template that allows for an adjustment to the main body text window size in Pages (latest version running on High Sierra.) As a second page is created, the text window is unadjustable, and identical to the one on the first page, which is adjusted down to allow for the graphics and text in my letterhead logo, which of course, I don't need on subsequent pages.

I understand about the adjustments for the first page in getting the headers and footers to not show, but I seem to recall a command in older versions that allowed for a "special first page" or words to that effect, that would allow one to create a letterhead template or document that treated all subsequent pages differently. Currently, every added page has a locked text window, that, while linked with flowing text, is adjusted down from the top, to match the first page, leaving an unfilled and awkward gap at the top of the page, with useless real estate, making for an an unattractive and avoidably longer document. Has anyone found any solutions for this? I don't want to have to start paying for Word again, but this seems like a stupid problem, making Pages unattractive for simple business use.

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Jul 18, 2018 7:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2018 3:33 PM

Pages '09 does indeed have 1st Page is different which allows a different layout break on that page but as you have discovered subsequent versions are missing a very long list of features. This unfortunately has become the defining characteristic of Apple in the last 5-6 years.

You can continue using the far more functional Pages '09, or try pushing down the starting point of the text on the first page using a no-fill text box or Shape with TextWrap set.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2018 3:33 PM in response to yebdox

Pages '09 does indeed have 1st Page is different which allows a different layout break on that page but as you have discovered subsequent versions are missing a very long list of features. This unfortunately has become the defining characteristic of Apple in the last 5-6 years.

You can continue using the far more functional Pages '09, or try pushing down the starting point of the text on the first page using a no-fill text box or Shape with TextWrap set.

Jul 19, 2018 8:08 PM in response to yebdox

Need to update the installed version to v4.3 which works with a few minor hickups.

Pointless giving feedback to Apple they are not interested.

Despite professionals leaving in droves over the lack of a Mac Pro Apple hasn't shifted off its leadend. There was a bit of a brief Disturbance in The Force when someone inside Apple, who was probably personally affected, made a rash promise of something or other, but it quickly got forgotten, shuffled twice, and is currently in Never Never Land: "sometime" next year.

Apple is back to the good old days before Steve Jobs' return. Adrift, with strains of Ivor Novello playing over the tannoy: "Years may come and years may go..."

Jul 19, 2018 10:05 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Ouch. Sad. Like no one learned anything. All about iOS and social media crap. Exchanging pics of navels, enhancing pics of navels, latest thing my navel had for lunch, with background dance music. Important stuff. How's your navel, BTW? Would you like to see the digital version of my navel coffee table book, "Navels on the 4th of July"? Sure to be a best seller.

creating different text window size for letterhead template?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.