Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Inaccessible 5GHz Channels

Is there a reason why channel 165 cannot be selected in Airport Utility for the AirPort Extreme? Wireless Diagnostics frequently recommends this channel when using the Scan feature.

User uploaded file

I don't believe 165 is a DFS channel as it's well outside of that range. Am I overlooking a simple explanation for this, or has Apple neglected to implement this channel on the Airport?

Airport Extreme 802.11ac, Firmware 7.7.9

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 8:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2018 9:09 PM

Never mind, I think I figured it out. The Airport uses 80MHz wide channels for 802.11ac, with no option to adjust channel width. Channel 165 is a 20MHz wide channel, and isn't utilized in channel bonding scenarios (source).

Perhaps Apple withheld this option for the sake of user-friendliness ✅

I originally asked this question because I experience much increased 5GHz range and performance using channels 149 and above compared with the lower bands. Maybe someone with more knowledge could enlighten me on why that might be?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2018 9:09 PM in response to tonman87

Never mind, I think I figured it out. The Airport uses 80MHz wide channels for 802.11ac, with no option to adjust channel width. Channel 165 is a 20MHz wide channel, and isn't utilized in channel bonding scenarios (source).

Perhaps Apple withheld this option for the sake of user-friendliness ✅

I originally asked this question because I experience much increased 5GHz range and performance using channels 149 and above compared with the lower bands. Maybe someone with more knowledge could enlighten me on why that might be?

Jul 21, 2018 9:26 PM in response to tonman87

I originally asked this question because I experience much increased 5GHz range and performance using channels 149 and above compared with the lower bands.

The power output allowed on the higher channels is a lot greater than lower channels. (according to the old rules).

Your source is good.. another source is wlan wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

The US FCC rules for power output have recently changed.. but the normal standard is 30dBm on the high channels. This is now also allowed by the lower channels.. but previously power output for lower bands was kept to 250mW or 24dBm (from memory).. i am still looking for the older rules.. there is a good chance Apple has not upgraded the WiFi settings from the previous rules. It would require a firmware update as the levels are set in the router.

FCC Rules and Regulations | AIR802 | 2.4 & 5 GHz Bands

It will depend on a number of factors though.. including what materials your walls are made of and how effective the antennas and beam forming is in airport, interference from other wifi and 5ghz band users around you.

I notice my more advanced Asus wireless router does include channel 165 but the older one does not. I think there is going to be a fair amount of variation from router to router in this area.

Inaccessible 5GHz Channels

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.