Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I add custom sound effects in OSX 13.5

When I try to put .aif files in the System/Sounds folder they bounce right out again even though I have unlocked the Sounds folder.

macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jul 21, 2018 4:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2018 6:41 PM

I repeat (sorry, but) put your custom sounds in your user's Library. ~/Library/Sounds

Not in the System. No need root, no need to disable SIP.

The sounds are available in System Preferences -> Sounds -> Sounds Effects like all the others sounds that one can find, them, in System, and can be used by the user for system beeps, etc.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 21, 2018 6:41 PM in response to Eau Rouge

I repeat (sorry, but) put your custom sounds in your user's Library. ~/Library/Sounds

Not in the System. No need root, no need to disable SIP.

The sounds are available in System Preferences -> Sounds -> Sounds Effects like all the others sounds that one can find, them, in System, and can be used by the user for system beeps, etc.

Jul 23, 2018 2:29 AM in response to Philip Sharp1

SIP is System Integrity Protection and prevents you from altering System files, you can disable it by booting to your Recovery HD, click Utilities in the menubar and select Terminal, type in csrutil disable press Return. Quit Terminal reboot your Mac. You should now be able to add your .aiff files to the System/Library/Sounds folder. If you want to re-enble SIP then boot to your Recovery HD, open Terminal type in csrutil enable and press enter. Restart back to your Mac.

If you don't fancy doing that then just put it in your Users/<home>/Library/Sounds folder

How can I add custom sound effects in OSX 13.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.