Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is this voice msg a scam?

Received a voice msg from 1-800-275-2273 that said to not use apple devices until I speak with an apple support representative. Please refrain using any financial activity on devices on devices. call back on ***.

Sounds like a scam but the phone number used to call is an apple support number. Can apple please verify.

Thanks

[Edited by Host]

iPhone X, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Jul 23, 2018 1:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2018 1:17 PM

It is a scam. The criminals are spoofing Apple's number.

Avoid phishing emails, fake 'virus' alerts, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

3 replies

Jul 25, 2018 12:44 AM in response to padoh

Right. It's a scam from shysters, probably overseas, via non-fixed VoIP spoofing Apple's toll-free support phone number. "Caller ID" is an ad hoc joke from the ground up. Calling it "Caller ID" is a misnomer. It's an arbitrary, ad hoc, adjunct piece of information that carriers don't even look at. They just pass it along regardless of whether it's realistic or even formatted correctly. Carriers use the real caller identification, i.e. ANI or, for some services like non-fixed VoIP, the DID number for relay and billing. "Caller ID" is made to match the the ANI for everyday people subscribers. For everybody else, it can be whatever they want it be. This is the reason people hesitate to answer their phone anymore when they don't recognize the number and, in some cases, even when they do.

Jul 31, 2018 3:58 PM in response to padoh

The fact that it was Siri (or similar,) speech synthesis and the *** at the end was time-smeared in delivery,reinforces that it's neither legitimately Apple calling, nor emanating from the sharpest tool in the shed. The fallout from that rarest of cases, the FCC prosecuting a high-level phone scammer, fining him $120M, revealed that the profusion of phone spam isn't happenstance. Each time Caller ID is displayed on your phone, there's a database lookup that yields a fee to the service provider fulfilling the lookup request, even if the call goes unanswered. That fee is a fraction of a cent, so it's only meaningful if millions of calls are generated. Our AT&T/DirecTV VoIP phone is unplugged, day and night, because the volume of these fraudulent calls is so epic, beyond the political campaigns, opinion surveys, and charity solicitations that are telegraphing the punch properly via legit caller ID, that we can't have the ringer on, much less pick up the phone. My work AT&T cell is even worse. If the FCC was worth its salt, the telcos would be forced to change a very broken system, from which they profit. Instead, FCC wants to monkey with Net neutrality, because their paymasters will it (fund it, to be precise.) US Gov't has the same M.O. as Facebook - you, my fellow citizen, are the product, and the contract and related transactions ceding your privacy, and control over expanding communication channels, has been inked - you (and i) lose

[Edited by Host]

Is this voice msg a scam?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.