Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos not uploading to icloud, Photos very slow

Hello

My Photos app is acting all weird. Startup is very slow with beach ball rotating. Once it's finally up i can see that 351 photos (which is almost a month worth) is not uploading to icloud although i have 1,5 TB free space there.

All it shows me is the progress bar and option to press pause. When i press pause and hit resume, no change.

Any ideas how to fix this?

I'm using the 2017 21,5 retina iMac with all the system updates done.

Posted on Jul 24, 2018 12:04 AM

Similar questions

30 replies

Jul 24, 2018 4:48 AM in response to diggy123

I'm using the 2017 21,5 retina iMac with all the system updates done.

Which system version are you currently running. "All system updates done" does not necessarily imply that you have done the upgrades as well. just to be sure - is your current version macOS 10.13.6 High Sierra or did you not yet upgrade to High Sierra?

In addition to checking why your Mac is slow, as recommended by Asher, you may want to check, if you have items in your Photo Library, that are not compatible with iCloud. One bad apple in your library can hold up the show.

And how much free storage is on your Mac? A lack of storage on your Mac can also stop the upload.Is your Photos Library on your system drive or on an external drive?

Jul 24, 2018 3:12 PM in response to diggy123

Here's a trick i thought i'd try - what if i create a new library, set it as system photo library. i get the attached message.

If i accept this, would it mean that my current library stays as it is and the library i just created and set as system library downloads all the photos from icloud?

I've (probably) exported the original versions of files that have not been uploaded to icloud yet, so i can add them manually to the new library.

User uploaded file

Jul 24, 2018 1:14 AM in response to diggy123

I suggest you try this:

If the entire Mac is acting slow and especially when the Loading icon shows up, go to:

Finder-> Applications-> Activity Monitor

Here there is CPU and Memory.

Under CPU see if any applications (In decreasing order of CPU%) you use show up at the TOP

Under Memory also see if any applications(In decreasing order of Memory) you use show up at the TOP

Those are Applications that may be causing your device to Slow Down

And you can choose to remove them or tweak their settings to prevent them from using System Resources

How to use Activity Monitor on your Mac - Apple Support

Jul 24, 2018 6:19 AM in response to diggy123

Photos has a cache, where it is storing images that need uploading.

Be very careful, when you check this cache. Just look, do not touch or modify any files. You may want to make a current backup, before you open the Library.

• Ctrl-click your Photos Library in the Finder,
  • From the contextual menu select "Show Package Contents".
  • A Finder window will open, showing the items in the library.
  • Open the folder "private", scroll down to com.apple.cloudphotosd and click it.
  • Then click the folder CloudSync.noindex, then "Engine", then "filecache"

... Photos Library.photoslibrary/private/com.apple.cloudphotosd/CloudSync.noindex/Engine/f ilecache/

The "filecache" is holding many subfolders with images and other items that still need uploading. Click through these folders to find the first video or image that is waiting to be uploaded. Is there something suspicious about this item? The filename extension? Can you open it in Preview?

Jul 24, 2018 8:05 AM in response to diggy123

I would use the repair tool only, if I am sure that the Photos library has issues that need repairing. And only, if I have a working backup of the library. If a library is damaged, repairing it can make it worse. Use the repair tool only as a last resort, i.e. for an iCloud Photo Library.

Has the photo in question been uploaded to iCloud?

Can you see the photo at www.icloud.com, when you open the Photos.app there on your iCloud web page?

Jul 24, 2018 9:38 AM in response to diggy123

So i guess just to be sure i'd like to download what ever there is on icloud....

If you have enough free storage on your Mac, disable "Optimize storage" to get all photos back onto your Mac.

This will not reconnect the 351 ones, that did not upload.

Perhaps they have been missing from your Photos Library all along.

Look at the filenames and search your Mac for this file, for example with FindAnyFile. You can download atrial version here: http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/index.php

Photos not uploading to icloud, Photos very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.