Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The macOS installation couldn't be completed

I'm installing the 10.13.6 supplemental update on my 2018 MacBook Pro. It seemed to go through fine, but after restarting it was still offering me the update in the App Store... I clicked it again (thinking perhaps it hadn't worked). It restarted again, but this time said "The macOS installation couldn't be completed" and offered a log file which mostly said a bunch of folders were missing...

I restarted with the option key held down... It offered two "drives" – Macintosh HD and a volume called something like Macintosh Update. If I selected Macintosh HD it starts back up into High Sierra (showing 10.13.6 in the Apple Menu) with the update still showing as uninstalled in the App Store.

If I restart without holding the option key down, it gets half way through booting, then half-way through it starts again with the Apple logo and I get the message above again.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Jul 27, 2018 8:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2018 12:49 PM

Just in case anyone else gets this message, in then end I had to reinitialised the drive and reinstall MacOS High Sierra (again) using recovery mode. The supplemental update then worked without a problem, and there is no crypto_val error in disk utility.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 27, 2018 9:24 AM in response to macjack

Thank you. Safe boot works fine, but rebooting back into normal mode and although it now works, the supplemental update is showing in the App Store as needing to be installed.

Running disk utility to repair I get:

warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.major_version (0) warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_os_version (0x0) warning: crypto_val: object (oid 0x4): invalid state.key_revision (0)

I've tried reinstalling High Sierra using recovery mode, but that doesn't seem to have changed anything.

The macOS installation couldn't be completed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.