Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charge iPad via USB while Using Duet Display

Hello Everyone,

My iPad Air used to charge via my computer's USB while running Duet Display. Recently, however, the iPad does not charge via USB and only displays the "Not Charging" text, regardless of how low I set the screen brightness. This is especially frustrating as my coworker also has an iPad Air with a virtually identical computer and his iPad still charges when plugged in with the screen on. I'm still using the same computer that used to charge the iPad via USB with the iPad screen on. To clarify, the iPad still charges using either the official Apple iPhone charge adapter or the Apple iPad charge adapter, just not via computer USB.

Troubleshooting Steps I've Tried:

• I have tried three different official Apple lighting cables, every USB port on my computer, and even a separate self powered USB hub. I think it has something to do with drivers or the iPad not trusting the computer, even though I told it to trust it.
  • I've reinstalled drivers and also installed iTunes in an attempt to restore charging via computer USB.
  • I've also tried soft reset, but the outcome remained unchanged.
  • I've tested the iPad on other computers and it charges via USB with screen on.

Thank You,
EnigmaticManiac

iPad Specs:

Model: iPad Air Wifi [MD787LL/A]

Operating System: iOS 11.4.1 (15G77)

Storage: 64 GB

Computer Specs:

Model: Dell Precision Tower 3620

Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise Version 1803

Processor: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20 GHz

RAM: 32.0 GB

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Jul 28, 2018 11:33 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Jul 28, 2018 1:21 PM in response to Apple-Ygz

Hello Again Apple-Ygz,

Yet again, appreciate your quick response. But if you reasoning were 100% true, then my iPad should have never charged from my computer with it's screen on and Duet Display running, but it did. Also, it shouldn't charge from co-workers tower or laptop computer, but it did. I actually just confirmed it'll charge via computer on my personal laptop (see attached photos).

User uploaded file

iPad Air connected to computer USB running Duet Display

User uploaded file

iPad Air charging via computer USB with screen on and running Duet Display

So with the power considerations aside, can you think of anything in the software that would prevent the iPad from charging via a computer's USB?

Thank You,
EnigmaticManiac

Aug 3, 2018 5:14 AM in response to EnigmaticManiac

Hello,

I purchased a USB Power enhancer from Amazon, which takes power from one port and combines it with data and power from another into a single female socket. Using the high power USB for power, I should have roughly 1500 milliamps, or 1.5 amp, and 7.5 watts available for the iPad. Unfortunately, even with this connect it still will not charge when plugged into the computer. I've been working with the Duet Display support team and they are currently looking into the problem to see if it could be something on their end. Can you think of anything else that would stop it from charging?

Thank You,

EnigmaticManiac

Jul 28, 2018 12:44 PM in response to Apple-Ygz

Hello Apple-Ygz,

While I thank you for the reply, I believe your answer isn't correct. As I stated in the question, this computer has, in the past, charged this same iPad Air with it's screen on using Duet Display. I believe either a driver issue, a trust issue between the iPad and the computer, or a recent Windows or iOS update is preventing the iPad from charging anymore via my computer's USB. Furthermore, this same iPad can be charged, with it's screen on and running Duet Display, from other computers in my office. These computers range from towers, which are virtually identical to mine, to Dell laptops. Can you think of anything that would prevent my computer from charging this iPad?

Thank You,
EnigmaticManiac

Jul 28, 2018 12:53 PM in response to EnigmaticManiac

Hi!

Your computer can charge your iPad with 500 mAh max. But your iPad needs more power. For 60 fps, your iPad get data 60 times in 1 second. That consumes very energy. Also Your screen, iOS and other apps (System apps and other apps) consumes energy. The iPad's charge is 2400 mAh and it charges even when it's not using the iPad for a long time. The iPad will not charge with 1/5 charge capacity of the computer while consuming high energy.

Thank you.

Jul 30, 2018 6:49 AM in response to Apple-Ygz

Hello Again Apple-Ygz,

I wanted to point out that the USB I use at work for my iPad is a high power USB (shows the lightning bolt next to the port). These ports are designed to provide up to 1000 milliamps, or 1 amp, compared to the 500 milliamps, or .5 amp, available with traditional USB ports. This means the high power USB port is the same as a 5 watt charger. Can you think of anything else that would stop it from charging?

Thank You,

EnigmaticManiac

Charge iPad via USB while Using Duet Display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.