Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't install Mac OS X using macOS Recovery

I recently purchased a new MacBook Pro and decided to give my old 2013 MacBook Pro Retina to a relative.

I was in the process of cleaning up the laptop when I restarted it after Erasing the "Startup Disk". Upon turning the laptop back on it shows a "" symbol so I decided to restart the laptop and enter into macOS Recovery (Internet Recovery) mode which worked but after choosing the "Reinstall MacOS" I cannot see any Disk to install the OS X on.

How can I fix my computer? What should I do?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, null

Posted on Jul 30, 2018 3:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 30, 2018 3:49 AM

In Recovery mode / Utilities / Disk Utility, do you see your startup disk and hard disk?

You could try partitioning the hard disk (at the top, unindented), which will erase it. Make 1 partition with GUID partition map. Format APFS for a solid state drive or Mac OS Extended (journaled) for a rotating drive.

Then you should be able to install the OS.

You should use internet Recovery -- hold down Option and Command and R keys.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 30, 2018 3:49 AM in response to mdcancio

In Recovery mode / Utilities / Disk Utility, do you see your startup disk and hard disk?

You could try partitioning the hard disk (at the top, unindented), which will erase it. Make 1 partition with GUID partition map. Format APFS for a solid state drive or Mac OS Extended (journaled) for a rotating drive.

Then you should be able to install the OS.

You should use internet Recovery -- hold down Option and Command and R keys.

Can't install Mac OS X using macOS Recovery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.