Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

T2 on MacBook Pro 2018 prevents boot after install

Got a MacBook Pro and just wasted 1 1/2 days. I think the T2 is presuming theft and locking out boot after all restores or installs. After trying 1/2 day yesterday I wasted a major part of the day waiting for a Genius who was not trained on the new model and had no tools to diagnose T2 issues. He also seemed unaware that you could not network boot T2 system (press N on startup.) This would indicate complete lack of training or support materials.

I suspected it was a result of theft protection with the T2 and arrived with my sales receipt in case they asked for proof. Based on a response on the developer forum, there are NO T2 recovery tools in the field.

They wanted me to return the system for repair pending parts for China - this would be a 5 week process. We will return the system for credit and buy new.

Posting here because there might be an engineer who knows. Pretty positive there must be a work around.

1. Got the system (custom order i9, 32GB. 4TB ssd) and started Migration Assistant from a cloned drive.

2. This interrupted for some reason. I rebooted and the system disk was not bootable.

3. Having lived through this (I have used Macs for decades) I decided to restore and booted the recovery partition. I disabled T2 boot block for signed macOS on external drives just to be sure.

- I needed to log in as Admin, the utility seemed to get this from the partial migration on the main parition!

- T2 utility seemed to be fine

- Erased main partition in prep for a new install - this likely was the mistake!!!!

4. Could not boot from external boot. All boot attempts of fresh 10.13.6 or Mojave Beta 5 failed and resorted to the network recovery install screen. This was the same behavior as 5. There was a reboot sequence and then it just restarted itself.

5. The build in recovery partition disappeared.

6. Tried network recovery install 5x (also instructed for this by AppleCare, who had no other info on T2.)

- It succeeds, downloads the installer and starts installing.

- But at the end of the install after essentially completing it just reboots to the network recovery prompt.

- Option boot shows the Installer partition, but does not get you back in.

- Under some circumstances, with Option Boot an Install partition is visible, but it also boots to the Network Recovery prompt.

7. Recovery is only available from network (Apple Recovery servers) which fails after loading and installing. I have tried all combinations of initiating keystrokes on that one - previous install, currently installed version, later version.

8. I have run First Aid and erased the disk using the Network Recovery system recovery utilities.

9. I have tried a T2 Firmware recovery with the Configurator 2 as outlined by an Apple Support document, but the system does not go into DFU mode.

This was tried both with High Sierra 10.13.6 and 10.14 beta 5 for boot or installation.

My theory is: T2 prevents all boots from any media. It looks for the Admin info which was wiped during erase.

I do believe engineering did not foresee or cover this use case properly. I am also surprised about the lack of training and tools. I would have expected better from the Genius. Will not waste my time in the future. I seem to know more than they do.

Any ideas anybody? Hate to wait another week or more for another system. This is very silly, since it could be resolved with the correct utility.

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 1, 2018 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2018 6:27 PM

The forums provide a permanent public record of the problems people have wrestled with, and sometimes solved.

Please do not move your conversations to private emails. Other readers want to know what you tried, what worked and what did not. If you have more advice, please post it here to benefit everyone.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2018 6:27 PM in response to Hosni Abouzahra

The forums provide a permanent public record of the problems people have wrestled with, and sometimes solved.

Please do not move your conversations to private emails. Other readers want to know what you tried, what worked and what did not. If you have more advice, please post it here to benefit everyone.

Aug 3, 2018 2:47 AM in response to HaraldS

Hi Harald

I have a similar problem after erasing the disk and attempting to re-install via internet recovery. The re-installation starts, but then aborts and throws me back to the screen saying 'OS needs to be re-installed'. While on that screen, if you open the installation log, I see errors stating that installation can't be performed on APFS formatted volume, as it needs an HFS+ volume which it can then convert to APFS. However, if I reformat to HFS+, then it is not possible to select the disk as installation target, you get the message 'This computer can only install on APFS volumes', or something similar....:)

I also suspect this might be related with the T2 firmware being corrupted after erasing the disk. There is a support article on how you can restore the T2 Chip to it's original state here: https://help.apple.com/configurator/mac/2.7.1/#/apd0020c3dc2

This process requires a second mac running High Sierra with Apple Configurator 2 running on it. You could give it a try, it didn't work for me though.......

I have a Genius appointment this afternoon for my problem. I'm not very optimistic that they will be able to fix this, seems like a clear bug to me, and will probably require Apple engineers to come up with a new recovery mechanism which actually works also after erasing the system disk.....

Aug 3, 2018 7:49 AM in response to Frogleg

Make sure the Genius understands this is a T2 issue. Mine did not get that and did not have support info available.

I tried the T2 Firmware restore with the Configurator 2. It did not fix the problem. One should note:

- You need to plug in the power supply on another port of the connection will overdraw current on the Configurator host USB and shut it down.

- You need to depress the key combo for longer than the support article indicates.

- The process ends without any confirmation dialog and just reboots the MacBook

I also tried target mode. It mounted on my older MacBook Pro but would not let me install. I cloned two drive configuration - 10.13.6 and 10.14 beta 5. Neither would boot.

The system is back with Fed Ex on its way to Apple.

Sep 15, 2018 6:20 PM in response to HaraldS

Hi Harald

Same problem here, after trying to boot from external drives or usb's and all failed.

I connected the new Macbook pro 2018 to my old MacBook Pro 2015 ( usb c cable with thunderbolt2 adapter on the other side).

start the 2018 as target disk

Erased the 2018 ssd ( Mac Journaled)

then insert my bootable usb osx high Sierra and install it on the 2018

it works bro

sorry for my English , jam from Dubai UAE

please email me if you need more assistance

T2 on MacBook Pro 2018 prevents boot after install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.