Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connectivity Thunderbolt 2 to USB 3.1

I have a Late 2014 Mac Mini, 3.0ghz, 16mb RAM, 1 TB Fusion drive running OS 10.13.6 with 3 USB 3.0 ports and 2 Thunderbolt 2 ports. I asked several days ago if there was a way to connect from Thunderbolt 2 to USB3.1 (USB-3 connector) and one helpful gentleman suggested I get an Apple Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 which Apple says is bi-directional. I purchased the item on-line but I didn't do my homework. and I discovered I still needed a thunderbolt cable to connect to the Thunderbolt 2 port on my mini. Got a Thunderbolt Cable (2M) and was assured that it was what I needed. Connected Mini to Adapter with Thunderbolt (2M) cable and the adapter to the Portable SSD. Absolutely nothing happened. System showed nothing connected to the Thunderbolt 2 port. If i Connect the USB-A to USB-C (provided) the drive works fine abeit at the max USB3.0 output. My question is, are the mini display plugs identical to the Thunderbolt 2 plugs as Apple suggests? If so why make a distinction? I am becoming very frustrated. Any help out there? This whole thing is becoming expensive in both $s and time.

MBP, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Aug 1, 2018 5:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2018 12:38 PM

This is what I use with my Late 2014 Mac mini: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/HGC82ZM/A/kanex-thunderbolt-to-esata-usb-30-a dapter?fnode=8b&fs=f%3Dadapter%26fh%3D4595%252B45b0

Note that it's actually sold in the Apple Store.

7 replies

Aug 2, 2018 12:09 PM in response to Thunderbolttwo

Other than naming confusion, a USB 3.0 port (SuperSpeed) is a USB 3.1 Gen 1 (5 Mbps) port in 2014 connector terms. It is also backwards compatible with USB1 and 2. Don't confuse this with the newer USB Type-C 3.1 cable which is for newer Macs and has a different physical connector.

A Thunderbolt 1/2 to USB 3.0/3.1 cable can be found, but they are expensive. Here's one for $100 USD on Newegg. It will only operate at Thunderbolt 1 (10Gbps) speeds. You might shop around.

Aug 2, 2018 1:28 PM in response to Lanny

Sorry I jumbled the question. I have a Samsung Portable SSD T5. It came with a USB 3.1 (USB-C/Thunderbolt 3) male to USB 3.1 (USB-C)/(Thunderbolt 3) male. I want to go from the Thunderbolt 2 port on my Mac Mini (late 2014) to the Samsung USB-3.1 SSD. I tried the Apple Thunderbolt (2m) cable to go from the MacMini to the adapter. No joy. Apple says the Thunderbolt Cable is only for displays. I have run out of airspeed and altitude. A USB-1 to USB-C cable from the USB 3 port on the mini to the SSD works but does not take advantage of Thunderbolt 2 speeds.

Aug 2, 2018 1:57 PM in response to Thunderbolttwo

That drive is a USB 3.1 drive, it's not going to go any faster than that. The Thunderbolt 2 ports on your Mac mini are Displayport compatible, that's why they can used with Displayport capable monitors. You can also buy Thunderbolt to USB 3 adapters as I suggested. But your Samsung Portable is only USB 3 capable. Newer Macs have USB-C ports that are Thunderbolt 3 capable.

The only way that you're going to get Thunderbolt 2 speeds with an external drive is to get one that has a Thunderbolt 2 connection, they are kind of rare, expensive, and now, out-of-date.

Example: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1384871-REG/lacie_stex4000400_d2_4tb_thun derbolt_2.html?ap=y&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI4ujx1aDP3AIVgr9kCh3lhAA8EAQYAiABEgJBl_D_Bw E&smp=y

Connectivity Thunderbolt 2 to USB 3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.