Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2018 Audio Glitch

Hey there,

So I'm sitting here in front of my new beautiful MacBook Pro 2018 and I'm having some serious problems. The sound keeps glitching out whenever I work in Unity (game engine) or Logic and Adobe Audition. I have of course updated my computer so the throttling shouldn't be a problem, so I'm wondering what could cause this?

Here's a video of what it sounds like...

MacBook Pro 2018 Audio Glitch - YouTube

Has anyone experienced this before? As an audio designer this is slightly problematic to say the least...

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018, 4 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 3, 2018 3:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2018 4:15 AM

I had the same problem. I chatted with Customer Service and they gave me instructions to reset the NVRAM and SMC. I tried the NVRAM reset prior to my chat. When I added the SMC reset, it seems to have worked. At least so far, having run it about 4 hours the problem has yet to return. You can get the directions for the SMC reset here: How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

and the NVRAM reset here: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2018 4:15 AM in response to nicolasfromårhus

I had the same problem. I chatted with Customer Service and they gave me instructions to reset the NVRAM and SMC. I tried the NVRAM reset prior to my chat. When I added the SMC reset, it seems to have worked. At least so far, having run it about 4 hours the problem has yet to return. You can get the directions for the SMC reset here: How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

and the NVRAM reset here: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

Aug 9, 2018 6:02 AM in response to nicolasfromårhus

Bought the new MacBook Pro 2018 model. And started having the same issues, audio glitches and stutter while using VLC / Quicktime / Premiere Pro. The issue seems to pop-up roughly 50min in.

Spoke to a technician who made me jump through the PRAM & SMC resets, and a few other checks.
After confirming the issue occurs without fail every time. I went to the iStore to exchange it.

New notebook seemed to work perfectly for a while, after I was done reinstalling Logic Pro X from the App Store - it started happing again. I am wondering if Logic is the issue... could anyone confirm they have the issue but do not have logic installed?

I am suspecting Logic might be installing and incompatible driver or something.

Found another thread with the same issue: I am adding this response there too. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Macbook Pro 2018 Sound Stuttering

Aug 3, 2018 12:43 PM in response to nicolasfromårhus

I am having the exact same problem when I work in Logic (although once or twice simply Youtube has set it off). In addition to the glitching/distortion, audio also stutters and repeats. I have found I can reset this by plugging something into the headphone jack and unplugging, or the opposite if I am using the jack, but this is incredibly annoying and always comes back. I am glad I saw this post as I was about to take my computer into the store and request a new one...I've only had this computer for 2 days

Aug 4, 2018 8:08 AM in response to nicolasfromårhus

Ok, so it would seem we're not the only ones with this problem.

There's a huge thread on MacRumours where people are complaining. But on page 10 someone who is in the Mojave beta program says that he's been testing out the sound for 8 hours straight and he hasn't had any trouble - yet. So I guess we just have to wait for Mojave to get released...

Oct 7, 2018 10:28 AM in response to nicolasfromårhus

I just got my MacBook Pro replaced because of the crackling speakers problem, and the new one had the problem with glitchy audio. Resetting the SMC and NVRAM did not fix it, neither did reinstalling High Sierra, but then I went to the App Store and noticed there was a High Sierra OS update available, so I installed it and it fixed the problem. It's called "macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update 2 for MacBook Pro (2018)".

Oct 8, 2018 7:56 AM in response to nicolasfromårhus

The issue hasn't been resolved !

Contacted Apple and they indicated to me that the engineers are still working on the solution !
Frankly why can't they make a good product without falws than to release one with them!

It's frustrating from iPhone X (Speaker crackling) to this now and also Sticky/faulty keyboard to Battery replacement paraphernalia!

Apple needs to make their Q/C (Quality Control) program up to speed and stop making defective products!!

Macbook Pro 2018 Audio Glitch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.