Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro 2018 Sound Stuttering

I bought my brand new Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz version last week. I realized that when I am using some softwares like Unity3D, Affinity Designer etc. the audio starts stuttering like a scratched CD. It happens on videos and FaceTime also. It goes away when I quit all the apps and try again. It comes a couple of minutes after I start using my softwares again. It is really disturbing with this kind of price tag!

Have anybody had a similar problem?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), Mid-2018 2.6Ghz Model

Posted on Jul 31, 2018 9:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2018 7:22 AM

After installing the latest update, the problem is gone.

Download macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Supplemental Update 2 for MacBook Pro (2018)

36 replies

Aug 9, 2018 5:59 AM in response to murat_k

Bought the new MacBook Pro 2018 model. And started having the same issues, audio glitches and stutter while using VLC / Quicktime / Premiere Pro. The issue seems to pop-up roughly 50min in.

Spoke to a technician who made me jump through the PRAM & SMC resets, and a few other checks.
After confirming the issue occurs without fail every time. I went to the iStore to exchange it.

New notebook seemed to work perfectly for a while, after I was done reinstalling Logic Pro X from the App Store - it started happing again. I am wondering if Logic is the issue... could anyone confirm they have the issue but do not have logic installed?

I am suspecting Logic might be installing and incompatible driver or something.

Found another thread with the same issue: I am adding this response there too. Hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Macbook Pro 2018 Audio Glitch

Aug 22, 2018 3:17 AM in response to iridesz

As I read elsewhere, i'm currently doing the following as a temporary / regular fix:

• Spotlight > Activity Monitor
  • Search for coreaudiod
  • Select & Quit process

After a few seconds the process/driver will restart and the audio will be fine again (for a while). It seems to depend on usage, after a while it will start doing it again and get progressively worse, so I just repeat the above. It sometimes requires restarting the software your using, as it will mess around with the audio hardware / output settings due to restarting the driver. Some recover it themselves without a programme restart after a few seconds, others don't.

It's annoying as I often watch youtube videos or listen to music while working, and work mostly in Adobe After Effects & Premiere and often work with music and sound. So I need to do this fix every 15 - 20 mins or so when working. But at least I don't have to restart the whole machine which would totally ruin my workflow.

Hope it helps

Aug 1, 2018 8:47 AM in response to murat_k

This has been happening to me since I got it. I can resolve the issue temporarily by changing the format from 44,100 Hz to something else and back in Audio Devices, but the issue constantly appears. Doesn't matter what I'm doing. It's recordable using software so not a hardware problem. Happens both while using internal speakers and headphone jack.

Aug 6, 2018 5:20 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I don’t need bloatware to tell you what the system monitor already does. At most when it happens I’m using 18/32 GB of RAM on intense audio apps that shouldn’t be and historically hasn’t posed a problem on previous, less powerful Macs I’ve owned. Sometimes all I’ll be running is MuseScore and iTunes and it’ll still crash. For whatever reason the audio daemon is overloading/crashing on these systems. If it wasn’t that, restarting it wouldn’t fix the issue. I think this is a bug Apple will have to resolve. Has anyone seen if the issue is still there in the Mojave beta?

Aug 16, 2018 6:25 AM in response to murat_k

I have similar problem with Audirvana Plus and iTunes!! connect to USB DAC Chord Qutest.

I tried to solve this problem with many things to do like those......

1. renice coreaudiod process(daemon) to -20 on terminal.

it reduce the stuttering. but not fixed.

(on console :there are many coreaudiod error )

2. quit all app except for Audirvana or iTunes.

it is good solution but non sense in 6 core 32 GB ram computer X-)

3. use Audirvana(windows) on Parallels direct connect with WASAPI and ASIO

It's perfect. No stuttering with many applications on macOS like firefox and chrome and safari and Mail ......

4. shutdown kaspelsky

it reduce the stuttering. but not fixed.

Thanks

Dec 2, 2018 11:52 AM in response to murat_k

Me too, but I'd installed the lates software updates and it kept stuttering.

Eventually had to go in and replace the whole computer because of a faulty sound card.

I spoke to people at the apple store and they all rolled their eyes as if it happens a lot. One woman even confessed it would be her last week working at the store since they've been so bad at dealing with problems.

Feb 14, 2019 3:59 AM in response to murat_k

Yes I have exactly the same issue, using Ableton Live on a 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - I'm on my second machine after swapping the first one for the same reason. So clearly it wasn't a faulty machine.

After 45-50 minutes of audio playback the audio glitches and skips. Interestingly, the audio playback will lag behind the waveform (or vice versa, I cannot quite remember which) after the glitch occurs. My workaround is to unplug and plug headphones back in.

I'm still using High Sierra 10.13.6. I wonder if Mojave will fix the issue?

Macbook Pro 2018 Sound Stuttering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.