Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Earbud Microphone and Boot Camp

Hello,

Currently whenever I attempt to use the microphone on any traditional apple earbuds in Boot Camp, I only produce static in recordings or voice chat software. However, if I whisper while using the microphone, I do not produce any static at all (Indicating some sort of volume problem?). The audio output works, but the input audio is just horrendous with the overwhelming static it produces when speaking. Furthermore, occasionally when opening windows settings, my earbuds would "disconnect" or mute suddenly, requiring me to unplug and re plug them back in. The built in microphone does not produce any static, and using the headphones on the Mac side does not produce any static or problems either.

Here are some things I tried so far and my system specifications:

System:

- MacBook Pro 2018 15 Inch Running Mojave Public Beta 4

- Windows Home 1803 Version: 10.0.17134

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Troubleshooting Steps Done:

- Uninstalled devices and reinstalling the drivers

- Tuning and tweaking the microphone level settings in the sound control panel

- Running the basic windows troubleshooter

- Running a fresh download of the windows support software in order to repair any possible Boot Camp errors

- Deleting and re-installing Boot Camp partition using both the latest High Sierra update and Mojave public beta

- Switching Apple Earbuds

TLDR:

- Apple earbud microphone producing loud static when talking normally (does not occur when whispering)

- Static problem exists only in Windows

- Earbuds occasionally disconnect when opening the windows settings application (weird)

- Internal microphone works fine in Windows

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

-Kelvin

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018), iOS 11.4.1, Running Mojave Public Beta 4

Posted on Aug 3, 2018 5:34 AM

Similar questions

27 replies

Aug 5, 2018 6:53 AM in response to Loner T

I have checked multiple chat and recording software's volume control, but changing its volume does not prevent or worsen the static sounds. Only changing the volume in "levels" from the Sound control panel yields slightly different results. However, lowering my microphone input volume down to around 10 still produces a considerable amount of static while making it almost impossible to hear my voice even with the software's volume control cranked to the maximum.

Aug 5, 2018 8:00 AM in response to KeIvin

If you set the volume level to where it starts producing static and harshness on the Windows side, and without altering the settings, switch to macOS, do you get the same behavior? The levels/settings are 'shared' across the two OSes via NVRAM. For example, Mute in macOS or Windows should work as Mute in the other OS.

Apple Earbud Microphone and Boot Camp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.