Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I moved my iTunes library but it still updates files in the old location.

I have a 2008 Mac Pro on El Capitan. I had my entire iTunes library on an external drive (we'll call it Drive A). I quit iTunes, copied the entire folder to a larger drive (Drive B), then launched iTunes and went to Advanced in the prefs and pointed to the new media folder on Drive B. Downloading songs, updating apps, purchasing movies, etc. all saves the files into the correct structure on Drive B. BUT, it updates the "iTunes Library.itl" and "ITunes Library.xml" files back on Drive A. Even though the Advanced section of the prefs shows that the library is located on Drive B, it still updates the itl and xml file back on Drive A. I've looked through various Preference files to find what could be pointing to the old location in the hopes of manually editing it to point to the new location but I can't find anything. Anybody know how I can get iTunes to update the itl and xml file on the correct drive?

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Aug 3, 2018 3:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2018 1:29 AM

Hi,

Read this Open a different iTunes Library file or create a new one - Apple Support. Does this help?

Jim

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 4, 2018 3:59 AM in response to Jeff Langston

It would have been better to move rather than copy the iTunes folder to Drive B, but you probably have your reasons for doing it that way.

What if you disconnect Drive A and launch iTunes again with Option key and Choose library in Drive B and leave it like that until the next update. See what happens then and if needed guide it to Drive B again.

I moved my iTunes library but it still updates files in the old location.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.