Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Username or password for imap.aol.com is incorrect?

I had to change my aol password as i think there was an attempted hack. I did this by changing the password directly on the aol website. Since then i havent been able to get my phone (iphone 6s plus) to let me use aol in the normal “mail” of the phone. Ive tried deleting the account and then setting it up again and it says that i already have this aol account set up. Ive tried going through the “other” function rather than the one set up for aol already and it brings up the message “the username or password for “imap.aol.com” is incorrect”

I dont know what password its referring to or how to find out what it is. Im pretty sure my username will just be my email address. Ive looked at a few other peoples questions with the same issue but their phones seem to have more or different options to press than mine does. For now ive downloaded the aol app to receieve and send emails with my aol account but its frustrating i can just use my phone the way i want to. Im not very tekky so i could do with some clear instructions on how to fix it :(

Ben

Posted on Aug 4, 2018 3:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2018 8:48 AM

I was able to resolve this issue.

Here's what I did to work around the issue:

Go into Account Security.

Turn on Two Step verification.

Generate app specific password.

Copy that password.

Delete old AOL account.

Add new Aol account with app password copied.

email should work after that.

1 reply

Username or password for imap.aol.com is incorrect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.