Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permanently delete malware: Mac Auto Fixer (previously Mac Defender)

Mac Defender has renamed itself "Mac Auto Fixer". I did not download this program, it is malware that has popped up on my computer twice in the past month.

Mac Auto Fixer doesn't allow you to quit the program - instead I use command-option-escape to Force Quit the application. Then I open a finder window, go to Applications, move Mac Auto Fixer to the Trash, and empty trash.

Apparently that didn't work, because Mac Auto Fixer has appeared again. In the past, in order to completely delete Mac Defender, there were additional files that needed to be located an deleted.

With macOS High Sierra (10.13.6), I cannot find where the Mac Auto Fixer additional files might be hiding.

How do I permanently delete Mac Auto Fixer? How do I prevent it from re-installing?

Mac mini, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Aug 4, 2018 3:32 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Aug 22, 2018 4:54 AM in response to 321blueeyes

Oh yeah. I had the same PUP issue. I tried all the steps of traditional uninstalling but of course, it never worked.

It appears that this malware renewed itself. Until I tried anti-malware a few times. Only then I managed to delete this program and related ones from my computer.

I guess since it comes silently from rogue sites or software bundles you can't know where exactly it placed its file or maybe additional programs.

Use a different anti-malware if at first, it doesn't work. I did the full system scan with two different ones twice and all PUPs and other intruders are gone for good now.

Aug 22, 2018 5:17 AM in response to 321blueeyes

Manual method to remove malware .

First open Activity monitor via spotlight , search the malware name select it and click on cross sign to quit so that it will stop running in the background .

Go to system preferences and click on users and groups open the pad lock by entering admin name and password ( in case if it is an admin account ) , select login items , if you see unknown app select it and click on minus sign to get deleted .

In system preferences itself click on Security and privacy , click on Accessibility then privacy select the unknown app click on minus sign to get deleted .

Click on finder and search in Applications and download folder .

The next step would be enter in System Library .

Click on Finder , take cursor on top menu bar click on Go - Computer - Macintosh HD - Library

You have to manually search malware in some folders where they reside .

1.Application Support

2.Caches

3.LaunchAgents

4.LaunchDaemons

5.Logs

6.PriviledgedHelperTools

7.Startup-items

8.Receipts

9.Preferences - the plist of malware is to be removed , if there is com.apple .xxxx .plist.lockfile or com.apple.xxx.plistlockfile its an indication ( xxx could be the name of malware ) and the small folder before it will turn black it's a symptom of the malware , and it could also be com.apple.xxx.plist

10.Extensions

11.Frameworks

12.internet Plug -ins

13.Input Methods

14.ScriptingAdditions

Then enter in User library - click on finder > Go > hold option key > Library

Search Malware in folders

1.Application Support

2.Caches

3.Cookies

4.Safari

5.Logs

6.Saved Application State

7.LaunchAgents

8.Internet Plug -ins

9.Input Methods

10.Preferences - com.apple.xxx.plist ( xxx could be the name of malware ) .

11.Containers are also to be checked .

Then again click on Finder - Go - Macintosh HD - System - Library - Frameworks - search the malware in Framework folder .

Right click on malware from the above folders and move to the trash , restart the computer and empty the trash .

Aug 23, 2018 6:31 AM in response to tygb

tybg, please reconsider your boilerplate.

Yes, it's nice to help, but such vague instructions are dangerous. Without knowing what a person is even looking for, a novice, or even experienced user could end up removing critical files for third party apps you've installed, or even items belonging to the OS. The instructions come down to, "Guess and delete."

Aug 23, 2018 7:52 AM in response to tygb

Yes, I agree some malware/adware needs to be dealt with directly when apps such as MalwareBytes miss them. But your instructions don't address that. It's a scattergun list of instructions that simply states to delete whatever you think looks suspicious and hope for the best. This is dangerous and should not be used.

Nov 14, 2018 5:32 PM in response to 321blueeyes

I had the same issue it just showed up on me too. I ran Malwarebytes like tethfrog2321 suggested and it removed it. Ran the scan, did the system reboot. When i came back on line the Mac Auto Fixer was still on my doc for a little bit but then got removed. I ran the scan again and it picked up 1 more item from Mac Auto Fixer and I removed that. It appears to be gone but will see if it comes back. But so far it was a success! Thanks frog!

Permanently delete malware: Mac Auto Fixer (previously Mac Defender)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.