Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my external Apple CD/DVD drive work with my older MacPro running High Sierra?

I have a external Apple Drive, that has worked on previous models of iMac's, but now on a 'new' refurbished MacPro, this drive will not be recognized and I get the following error message:

Error USB Accessory not Supported. The 'Apple USB Superdrive' is not supported on this Mac.

I am running Mac OS High Sierra 10.13.6, Mac Pro (Early 2009) 2x3.06 Ghz 6 core Intel Xeon

The Apple drive is C1***J5M MODEL # A1379 I have it plugged into the front USB port on the front of the tower.

Is it because I already have a internal disk unit on the tower?

Thanks for the help!

Donna

[Personal Information Edited by Host]

Mac Pro, Mac OS Sierra, ver 10.12.4

Posted on Aug 4, 2018 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2018 6:59 PM

I was wondering if because it was not 'powered' if it was not able to support the disk drive. Also, I suspected it could only handle one disk drive at a time, since when I hit eject, I figured it wouldn't be able to distinguish one from another.

Thank you for your help and answer. Also, No I did not know we could use another disk reader on another device in my home network. I will have to check into that as that may be a better solution for me. Thank you for the time in answering my question.

You guys are great!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2018 6:59 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I was wondering if because it was not 'powered' if it was not able to support the disk drive. Also, I suspected it could only handle one disk drive at a time, since when I hit eject, I figured it wouldn't be able to distinguish one from another.

Thank you for your help and answer. Also, No I did not know we could use another disk reader on another device in my home network. I will have to check into that as that may be a better solution for me. Thank you for the time in answering my question.

You guys are great!

Aug 4, 2018 6:57 PM in response to ddwise

There are two issues:

1) your Mac already has a DVD reader, so this one is not supported. There are patches available online if you search fro them.

2) the device draws 900 milliAmps, far more than a standard USB port can supply 500 milliAmps. The models that support it can provide more to support this device.

--------

Did you know you can share the DVD reader of another Mac or PC across your home network?

Use the CD or DVD drive from another computer with your Mac - Apple Support

Why won't my external Apple CD/DVD drive work with my older MacPro running High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.