Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi I was wondering if I would get charged for texting American numbers

What I mean by this is using iMessage to text the number from the uk to America ... I’ll use the iMessage over WiFi even though I’m on contract so will I get charged please help

Posted on Aug 4, 2018 10:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2018 10:07 PM

If you are texting someone using an Apple product, and you are on Wifi, and the message color (blue) indicates that it is being sent as an actual iMessage, then there is no data plan charge. Just like there is no charge for using FaceTime internationally.

Just make sure it is not being sent as an SMS message (you can always turn off Cellular temporarily when you do the messages to make absolutely certain that it will not attempt to send it as an SMS).

Best,

GB

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 4, 2018 10:07 PM in response to mahimafromlondon

If you are texting someone using an Apple product, and you are on Wifi, and the message color (blue) indicates that it is being sent as an actual iMessage, then there is no data plan charge. Just like there is no charge for using FaceTime internationally.

Just make sure it is not being sent as an SMS message (you can always turn off Cellular temporarily when you do the messages to make absolutely certain that it will not attempt to send it as an SMS).

Best,

GB

Hi I was wondering if I would get charged for texting American numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.