Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app apparently re-uploading everything to iCloud

Hi all,

I noticed yesterday that my MBP started re-uploading all of my photos to iCloud. Everything that I have read suggests that this can happen if iCloud Photo Library is disabled and then re-enabled. This is definitely not the case for me though and so I'm not sure what is going on. It's clearly uploading though as I see the network bandwidth being used. As of now, it shows that it is uploading 20,962 items. However, if I select "Pause for one day", then the number of photos to upload decreases dramatically. Earlier in the day it was reporting about 1,000 items, then later on 5,000 and now I just tried pausing and it shows 9,420 items to upload. If I resume uploading though, then the number jumps back up to 20k after a few moments.

A few other relevant details:

1. Most of my photos are taken on my iPhone 6s running 11.4.1 with iCloud Photo Library enabled.
  2. Checking photos on my iPad shows 21k+ photos with only the photos that I took yesterday and today not showing up.

Any ideas why this seemingly happened out of nowhere on my MBP? I tried rebooting, but that had no effect. I would really like to avoid having to have it resolve itself on its own by uploading everything as my upstream connection is not that great. Moreover, I want to make sure that this doesn't happen again!

Thanks a lot,

Niels

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Aug 5, 2018 1:41 PM

Similar questions

11 replies

Aug 6, 2018 5:52 AM in response to lucidniels

See this article iCloud Photo Library - Apple Support

Pause library uploads to iCloud

When you turn on iCloud Photo Library, the time it takes for your photos and videos to upload to iCloud depends on the size of your collection and your Internet speed. If you have a large collection of photos and videos, your upload might take more time than usual. You can see the status and pause the upload for one day.

• On your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, go to Settings > [your name] > iCloud > Photos. In iOS 10.2 or earlier, go to Settings > iCloud > Photos. You can also open the Photos app, go to the Moments view, and scroll to the bottom of your screen.
  • On your Mac, open the Photos app. Select Photos in the sidebar, then click Moments in the list of tabs in the toolbar. Scroll to the bottom of your photos and click Pause.

Aug 10, 2018 1:03 AM in response to lucidniels

I'm still not really sure I understand how Photos is doing it's calculations though. At one point yesterday, Photos reported "Uploading 21,710 items (619.1 MB of 4.06 GB). However, once it got to 4.06GB, it just continued to report "Uploading 21,710 items" but without any indication of how much data it is expecting to transfer.

It is not documented, how Photos is presenting the numbers for uploading. I have also seen them increase and decrease again. As long as there is a kind of progress, be patient and don't interrupt it.

Aug 10, 2018 1:59 AM in response to lucidniels

, it sorted itself out and it didn't end up re-uploading my entire library

We do not really have a way to tell, if the complete library has been uploaded again, because Photos is comparing the photos to the library in iCloud and solving conflicts between duplicates. I could not find any documentation on how this duplicate detection is performed, bt occasionally I am seeing messages in the Console about duplicate detection in iCloud. If your library does not have any newer photos not already in iCloud, the number of photos will remain the same, because duplicates will not be added. Here is an older screenshot of the Console, when I had to upload my Library again:

User uploaded file

As I said, I could not find any documentation on how Photos decides how many photos need uploading at a time, and why these numbers keep changing. We are not allowed to speculate in these forums.

Aug 5, 2018 3:07 PM in response to lucidniels

there are many possible reasons and obviously only you know what has been going on with your device - any this that disconnects and reconnects your library to iCloud will trigger a new upload to verify library integrity - these events include re-namming the Photos library, moving the Photos library, restoring the library from a backup, logging out of iCloud and logging back in, turning ICPL off and back on, etc

once you trigger the verification upload there is no alternative except to allow it to complete

LN

Aug 5, 2018 11:24 PM in response to LarryHN

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply. The strange thing though is that nothing apparently changed on my end. I realize that *something* must have changed to trigger it, but none of the conditions that you named apply in my situation. I also don't understand why the number changes when I pause the upload. I just tried again and it went from 20,943 when actively uploading to 9,608 items when paused.

I guess I will just have to let it finish re-syncing at this point and let it figure out what, if anything, has actually changed.

Thanks again for your input,

Niels

Aug 6, 2018 7:50 AM in response to tygb

Hi tygb,

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the time it takes to upload will depend on connection speed, size of library, etc. I don't understand though why the reported number of items to upload changes based on whether it's uploading or if the upload is paused?

As an additional source of confusion, the number of items are actually increasing as I continue to let it upload.

When the upload was paused this morning, it reported 9,608 while now it's 10,378 when paused.

When the upload was active the morning, it reported 20,943 while now it's 21,713 with the upload active.

I suppose that the upper limit will be the total number of items I have in my library:

$ cd ~/Pictures/Photos\ Library.photoslibrary/Masters/

$ find "$(pwd)" -type f | wc -l

But I still don't understand why it's taking the Photos app so long to figure this out?

Aug 6, 2018 8:44 AM in response to lucidniels

Thanks for the reply. The strange thing though is that nothing apparently changed on my end.

Photos will also upload the library again, if I needed to repair it because of a corruption. Thsi can happen, after Photos crashed, or or if you used the library from a different user account.

Is your Photos Library on a compatible drive? Are you keeping the library in your Pictures folder on your MacBook Air or on an external drive?

Aug 7, 2018 1:14 AM in response to léonie

Thanks for the response, léonie.

I suppose it could be some sort of corruption. Everything is stored on the internal SSD of my MBP. I can't recall that Photos crashed but the computer did shut down due to low power at some point. Everything seemed to come back normally though when I plugged in the cable again.

At this point, I'm just going to let it keep uploading as it seems to be making progress (I hope). I'm still not really sure I understand how Photos is doing it's calculations though. At one point yesterday, Photos reported "Uploading 21,710 items (619.1 MB of 4.06 GB). However, once it got to 4.06GB, it just continued to report "Uploading 21,710 items" but without any indication of how much data it is expecting to transfer. This morning, the number is a bit lower (20,790). Little Snitch (network monitor) reports a constant upload speed of about 80-100kB/s. So it's doing something...

Aug 10, 2018 1:06 AM in response to léonie

Hi léonie,

Thanks for the feedback - in the end, the count went from 19,000 items to upload to being fully updated. So in the end, I'm still not sure why this happened but somewhere along the way, it sorted itself out and it didn't end up re-uploading my entire library. One last question - do you happen to know why sometimes it reports the amount of data to transfer and other times it does not?

Thanks again,

Niels

Photos app apparently re-uploading everything to iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.