Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

E3372 dongle on High Sierra

Am at my wits end. Struggled already to get the dongle to work on my previous iMac when I updated OS to Sierra. My new computer has High Sierra, and it seems impossible to get it to work. Already tried Mobile Partner and updating the driver (installation failed) and the workaround over at Miapple (https://miapple.me/installing-huawei-e3372-macos-10-12-sierra/) that failed because the driver installation failed because of unlisted errors.

Also tried to update the dongle in Windows as was suggested somewhere, but to no avail.

Anyone made it work?!

iMac, MacOS High Sierra

Posted on Aug 7, 2018 3:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2018 9:19 AM

I downloaded and installed the Software for Sierra, but it works on High Sierra, too: LINK

I recommend using the MacOS built-in modem connection functionality over the software Mobile Partner (which is energy consuming).

Open System Preferences > Network

Configure adapter HuaweiMobile- 2

Configuration: Default

Telephone Number: *99#

In the Advanced pane:

Vendor: Generic

Model: GPRS (GSM/3G)

APN: the_apn_of_your_provider

CID: 1

Apply the settings and hit connect. You might find it convenient to tick the box "Show modem status in menu bar", because you can establish a connection without opening the System Preferences.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2018 9:19 AM in response to Hi_Im_Be

I downloaded and installed the Software for Sierra, but it works on High Sierra, too: LINK

I recommend using the MacOS built-in modem connection functionality over the software Mobile Partner (which is energy consuming).

Open System Preferences > Network

Configure adapter HuaweiMobile- 2

Configuration: Default

Telephone Number: *99#

In the Advanced pane:

Vendor: Generic

Model: GPRS (GSM/3G)

APN: the_apn_of_your_provider

CID: 1

Apply the settings and hit connect. You might find it convenient to tick the box "Show modem status in menu bar", because you can establish a connection without opening the System Preferences.

Sep 5, 2018 2:57 AM in response to terminaluser

Thanks again, but like I said, I tried all the drivers. I also installed, uninstalled and reinstalled this one a number of times (as well as mobile partner). I can't even list all the things I did because I don't even remember (including things like deleting plist files, as instructed somewhere), but this page and the comment section were my starting points: https://miapple.me/installing-huawei-e3372-macos-10-12-sierra/

(a few of the others:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/connect-with-hilink-modems.1758075/

https://becomethesolution.com/blogs/mac/fix-mac-os-x-high-sierra-upgrade-no-wifi -internet-after

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2788089)

And the problem persists: the modem is read and HiLink appears on my desktop, but isn't displayed in Networks on System preferences. I'm now starting to think it has something to do with HS being the native OS on my new computer, most suggested solutions I've found on the net seem to be about problems encountered when upgrading the OS. This is just a wild guess though.

Thanks anyway for taking the time to advice me, really appreciate it ^_^

(Edit: oh and the installation that I mentioned having failed for some mysterious reason, eventually worked but to no avail 😟 )

Sep 5, 2018 3:11 AM in response to Hi_Im_Be

Just to be on the safe side, I tried yet another time with the software you link above (MP), adding the APN of my service provider. Didn't make any difference though as the software, just like the inbuilt network settings, didn't detect the modem but reported the "device has been disconnected or is not available".

Sep 5, 2018 4:38 AM in response to Hi_Im_Be

That's a pretty strange behavior. Prior installing the version linked in my post, I installed an earlier version for MacOS 10.11. It worked some time, but required a restart after replugging the dongle. Some days ago the dongle wasn't detected anymore. This is why I did some research and found the version linked in my post. This version works on my Mac, I don't know why it doesn't work on yours.

Prior installation I removed the old version with AppCleaner and I also removed the following folders:

sudo rm -r /Library/StartupItems/HWNetMgr

sudo rm -r /Library/StartupItems/HWPortDetect

sudo rm -r /Library/StartupItems/StartOuc/

After that, I made the Mac forget the packages:

sudo pkgutil --forget com.huawei.MobilePartner

sudo pkgutil --forget com.huawei.hwportdetect.pkg

sudo pkgutil --forget huawei.com.hwnetmgr.hwnetmgr.pkg

I don't know if this made any difference. CSR was enabled while installing the new software.

Sep 5, 2018 8:17 AM in response to terminaluser

Yes, seems weird to me as well, especially as I managed to get it working om my old computer when I upgraded to Sierra. Now I went through all the different options again, but end result is still no Huawei in Network settings. Had CSR disabled but enabled it again.

I hate to say it, as I don't like the idea of getting yet another piece of hardware, but I'll just have to get another one because this is taking me so much time and energy. But I will make a note of both Apple and Huawei (who btw no longer seem to offer the drivers on their web page, I found them around other places on the internet) in my black book.

Thanks though terminaluser for trying to help! 🙂

E3372 dongle on High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.